Old 20-08-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Low E Glass

Hiya Folks.
We are getting new windows and they have Low E Glass. Will that
decrease the intensity or amount of light reaching my plants?
Thanks!
Bob

Old 20-08-2006, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes, it decreases the overall intensity, but without having a great deal of
effect on the spectrum.

The amount of the decrease in intensity will depend on the thickness of the
coatings used, and the newer, more efficient windows are thicker.

I would have sworn I had a curve somewhere (I used to be the technical- and
sales manager for glass coatings for the company that made the coating
precursors). but cannot locate it.

oups.com...

Old 20-08-2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, it decreases the overall intensity, but without having a great deal
of effect on the spectrum.

Ray, Don't they block out parts of the UV spectrum? Pat

Old 20-08-2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Possibly, but I don't believe it's enough attenuation in the tiny bit that
plants might use to be an issue.

The film is intended to reflect long-wave IR (heat) more than anything.

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message

. ..