Old 09-09-2006, 06:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Wal-mart Orchids

I was getting a little disappointed with the lack / duplication of orchid
selection at our local Home Depot and Lowes in the Dallas Texas area. Went
home to North Texas to visit my Dad and stopped at a Wal-Mart looking for
(of all things ) a undamaged "Christmas Lucy" Barbie doll. Instead I found a
amazing variety of Dendrobiums and DGMRA. I came home with 5 new plants.

I stopped at every Wal Mart I saw after that and was very surprised at the
number and variety of Hawaiian orchids they had. These were distributed by
West Coast Nurseries. Surprisingly, the majority of them even had tags.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bruce,

And soon you might be buying hard-to-find (and not-in-WalMart) orchid
species in flask.

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

=======================================

Old 09-09-2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bruce Musgrove wrote:
I was getting a little disappointed with the lack / duplication of orchid
selection at our local Home Depot and Lowes in the Dallas Texas area. Went
home to North Texas to visit my Dad and stopped at a Wal-Mart looking for
(of all things ) a undamaged "Christmas Lucy" Barbie doll. Instead I found a
amazing variety of Dendrobiums and DGMRA. I came home with 5 new plants.

I stopped at every Wal Mart I saw after that and was very surprised at the
number and variety of Hawaiian orchids they had. These were distributed by
West Coast Nurseries. Surprisingly, the majority of them even had tags.

Sometimes you get lucky. They seem to get orchids from a more local
grower, in this case St. Louis. The grower specialize and may get
their flasks or seedlings from all over the world as well as use some
of their own.

I bought 2 marked down phals with tags at a W. the first of May. One
of them was just starting to branch from the main spike. When it
bloomed I researched the name. Wanted to verify the accuracy. The
name was Phal. Taisuco Atiem Kaala x Phal Pinlong Memory, described as
a large white, etc. The description was accurate to the bloom, it was
about 5" white with yelllow on the lip. The top petal canted back a
little, but didn't flop. The side petals were rigid. Overall good
substance. The blooms lated 2+ months at my aunt's house.