Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default New Newsletter Editor

Kath, I don't think that old site is functional anymore. I could be wrong,
but it appears to me that the link I mentioned is where everyone is posting
nl's lately. The link originally came from Carol, and yes, she's very
helpful. Quite a gal, really. If you haven't met her, then you should also
know that she's a peach in person, too.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
In addition to everything everyone else has said there used to be a
website for newsletter editors and webmasters. I think it was mostly
supplanted by the AOS Forum site Diana mentioned. It was run by Carol
Holdren and you can google her information at the AOS. She'd be helpful
too. I run a website in which we try to make our information available to
societies as long as you get permission from the author and say it came
from OrchidSafari http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html Most of
our content these days is provided by Marilyn Light, and she's always
willing to allow reprints, but you do have to ask her. The links are
(usually) on the articles.

K Barrett

"Beverly" wrote in message
. ..
I've just become the editor of the Oregon Orchid Society Newsletter
(Calypso) and am looking for ideas to liven it up a bit. I'm a computer
consultant so the software part isn't a problem, but the content could
really use some help.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Beverly

Old 01-10-2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I publish a recap of the minutes from the general meetings, but not board
meetings. Any member is welcome to come to a board meeting, but putting
those issues out for the great unwashed (just kidding!) isn't a good idea,
IMO.

Danny, no problem opening your newsletter.

Diana

"danny" wrote in message
. ..
I publish "notes" from the board meetings in the newsletter, not the actual
minutes. Even putting in the notes isn't required in any way. The notes
usually cover almost everything in the minutes, but not everything
discussed in the board meetings needs to be published in a public forum.
The quality of minutes can also vary greatly depending on the current
secretary. The official minutes from our monthly meetings have to be
published in the newsletter, but apparently there is no such rule for our
board meetings. Not sure how other societies handle it.

Every society has issues.

-danny

"Beverly" wrote in message
There are apparently some issues in the society I wasn't aware of when I
took over the position making board minutes unavailable at this time.
However one of the reasons I decided to get involved was to try to help
rectify some things that don't seem to be working very well.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have met Carol in person a couple of times. She's is indeed a very
nice person. In the good old days she used to come around OrchidSafari
quite a bit. BUt once Sparky Stve died a lot of floridians lost touch.
Heck for that matter I've lost touch with OrchidSafari. Real life has
intruded. There's no more free time, no more expendable income. This
is the only place I hang out anymore. And you see how much I
participate here.

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Kath, I don't think that old site is functional anymore. I could be wrong,
but it appears to me that the link I mentioned is where everyone is posting
nl's lately. The link originally came from Carol, and yes, she's very
helpful. Quite a gal, really. If you haven't met her, then you should also
know that she's a peach in person, too.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

In addition to everything everyone else has said there used to be a
website for newsletter editors and webmasters. I think it was mostly
supplanted by the AOS Forum site Diana mentioned. It was run by Carol
Holdren and you can google her information at the AOS. She'd be helpful
too. I run a website in which we try to make our information available to
societies as long as you get permission from the author and say it came
from OrchidSafari http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html Most of
our content these days is provided by Marilyn Light, and she's always
willing to allow reprints, but you do have to ask her. The links are
(usually) on the articles.

K Barrett

m...

Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 16:33:42 GMT, "Ray" wrote:

I'm using the same version...

Being required to use IE to teach - I tried that this afternoon while
grading and it locked. Seemed to be a slow server that timed out on
page 3-4.

Just my 2 cents.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 02-10-2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I've found that if I don't publish notes from the board meetings, the
following will sometimes happen:
1) No one outside of the board will ever know what was decided, even if
they are supposed to.
2) No one on the board will remember what they decided.
Having an easily available reference in the newsletter makes communication a
little better.

Late in my first year as newsletter editor, the issue of putting an ad in
the newsletter came up. I asked our president and was informed that the
board had discussed the issue about six months previously and came up with a
policy. No one had bothered telling me, the newsletter editor, about the
policy that dealt with the newsletter. After that I started going to the
board meetings, and asked to be nominated for a director position the next
year (might as well be on the board if I'm going to attend the meetings.)

-danny

. ..