Old 05-10-2006, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default New orchid is loaded with roots

I just got a new Phal. It has three flower spikes. One is in bloom
the other two have lots of buds. It also looks like it has a new leaf.
It's very healthy looking.

The top of the pot is nothing but roots. Looks like a bowl of
spaghetti. The roots are white and look pretty healthy.

Should I repot the plant now or wait until it's done blooming?

Old 06-10-2006, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'd say wait, also. In fact, if the media in the pot is still good, why do
you even want to repot? Just because roots are showing? That's not a bad
thing ...

At repotting (if you decide you must), then were the plant in my own
personal collection, I would not bury all those nice aerial roots.

Kenni

ups.com...

Old 06-10-2006, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well it's kind of hard to know if the media in the pot is still good
since the top is almost 100% roots. I did stick my finger in and it
feels OK.

It does seem to dry out much faster than I'd expect. Probably due to
so many roots?

So, guess I'll leave it alone while it's blooming.

As you can see I don't know a heck of a lot about orchides except that
I love them.

Thanks

Kenni Judd wrote:
I'd say wait, also. In fact, if the media in the pot is still good, why do
you even want to repot? Just because roots are showing? That's not a bad
thing ...

At repotting (if you decide you must), then were the plant in my own
personal collection, I would not bury all those nice aerial roots.

Kenni

ups.com...

Old 06-10-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Stick around here and you'll learn plenty. Ask anything you want.

Diana

oups.com...

Kenni Judd wrote:
I'd say wait, also. In fact, if the media in the pot is still good, why
do
you even want to repot? Just because roots are showing? That's not a
bad
thing ...

At repotting (if you decide you must), then were the plant in my own
personal collection, I would not bury all those nice aerial roots.

Kenni

ups.com...