Old 03-12-2006, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Supplemental Lighting

If anyone is getting nervous about keeping their plants over the winter,
FarmTek is offering their high-output, full spectrum compact fluorescents at
a discount right now - 150W (CRI 93, uses a standard medium Edison base) is
$36, 200W (CRI 90, Mogul base) $110. They also have them available with a
good reflector fixture that can accommodate either.

I use a single 150-watt fixture for a 4' x 5' seedling and flask bench in my
basement, and it works great.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray,

I know there have been discussions in the past when these bulbs came out.
How often do you replace this type of bulb? For HID and tube fluorescents
they should be replaced annually.

The 125W bulbs for $36 could be interesting when I start my garden seedlings
in March. I have a basement full of cheap shop lights from "BG" (Before
Greenhouse). They are pretty dirty looking and one by one I throw them away
as they stop working each spring. Each 125W bulb would be 3 of the tube
type which makes them about twice the price. The advatage I see would be
that they could be more flexible with setting them up.

Gene

Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I am at about 18 months with the 150 watter Gene, and the plants under it
are still doing well, but I was thinking about replacing it and putting the
old one in the GH for after-dark visits.

"Ray B" wrote in message
If anyone is getting nervous about keeping their plants over the winter,
FarmTek is offering their high-output, full spectrum compact fluorescents

at
a discount right now - 150W (CRI 93, uses a standard medium Edison base)

is
$36, 200W (CRI 90, Mogul base) $110. They also have them available with
good reflector fixture that can accommodate either.

I use a single 150-watt fixture for a 4' x 5' seedling and flask bench in

my
basement, and it works great.

Supplemental lighting Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 11 27-01-2015 10:53 AM
Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
"Artifical" lighting -- Any successes? Jo Edible Gardening 16 08-02-2003 05:31 AM
Indoor Lighting-System news Orchids 12 06-02-2003 04:43 AM
Agro Lighting, good?? Maurizio Leo Bonsai 0 27-01-2003 05:33 PM