Old 15-10-2007, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Hydroculture orchid kit

Picked up a hydroculture orchid kit at a garage sale for five bucks. It
came with the media (fired up clay), the culture pots and interior pots, as
well as the water level indicators. The instructions called for an
overnight soak in a rooting compound/nutrient mix. But there was no rooting
compound or any other fertilizer-like powder in the kit.

Trying to understand whether any ordinary rooting compound would work the
same?
Can I substitute a GrowMore 20-10-20 and soak the clay media in this?

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Mariana

Old 15-10-2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:58:52 GMT, "Jane Doe"
wrote:

Picked up a hydroculture orchid kit at a garage sale for five bucks. It
came with the media (fired up clay), the culture pots and interior pots, as
well as the water level indicators. The instructions called for an
overnight soak in a rooting compound/nutrient mix. But there was no rooting
compound or any other fertilizer-like powder in the kit.

Trying to understand whether any ordinary rooting compound would work the
same?
Can I substitute a GrowMore 20-10-20 and soak the clay media in this?

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Mariana

Instead I would go read the Semi-Hydro Method work on FirstRay.Com
There is a good description. You have the hardest, most costly
ingredient (Clay media). This method is well loved by Phrags, Paphs,
Oncidium, Brassia, Summer or Chinese Cymbidiums and many others. Less
likely to cause you to cross contaminate the plants. Virus control in
a full hydro system is difficult.
SuE
Old 15-10-2007, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi there Mariana, Yes Sue is right, just a follow up, are these pots
individual containers, they
don't share the water in one large tank like conventional hydroponics right?
I would soak in a very weak solution of GroMore & rooting powder.
Otherwise you would see fertilizer burn on your leaves etc.
Cheers Wendy

Old 15-10-2007, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Hi there Mariana, Yes Sue is right, just a follow up, are these pots
individual containers, they
don't share the water in one large tank like conventional hydroponics
right?*

Correct!

* I would soak in a very weak solution of GroMore & rooting powder.
Otherwise you would see fertilizer burn on your leaves etc.*

I'll try it thank you .

-M

Old 15-10-2007, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:

*You have the hardest, most costly
ingredient (Clay media). This method is well loved by Phrags, Paphs,
Oncidium, Brassia, Summer or Chinese Cymbidiums and many others. Less
likely to cause you to cross contaminate the plants. Virus control in
a full hydro system is difficult.

SuE

Many thanks, I figured that for five dollars, how on earth can I go wrong?
even if I throw it out .

-M

Old 15-10-2007, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

BTW- Firstray.com is a gaming multi media site!

-M

Old 15-10-2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Oct 15, 7:52 am, "Jane Doe" wrote:
BTW- Firstray.com is a gaming multi media site!

-M

whoops.

firstrays.com.

also be careful how much water you put in--with those exterior pots
it's hard to keep track of the water level.

--j_a

Old 16-10-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

And firstrays.net is about a band, First Rays

firstrays.org is apparently a placeholder.

Hydroculture MrMystery Plant Biology 0 24-06-2006 07:18 PM
Hydroculture and houseplants where to buy? Shri Gardening 0 24-12-2004 09:00 PM
How to make a soil test kit??? Monte Australia 8 02-04-2003 03:20 AM
How to MAKE a soil test kit! Monte Texas 0 28-03-2003 12:32 AM
about Octopus 3000 Kit No.3: Monitoring & Control C1000mg Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 11:22 PM