Old 06-11-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default What to do when your orchid blooms?

There is a school of thought that too much nitrogen can inhibit flowering,
and it may be a factor -- although much less of one than either light or
temperature, for most plants, IMHO. But "inhibiting flowering" would happen
_before_ the plant initiates its buds, not while it's carrying the flowers.

Skipping a couple feedings while a big Catt is in bloom, so as to avoid
spotting the flowers, I can understand and the plant will forgive. But
skipping months of feeding while a Phal or Den stays in bloom is, I think, a
bad idea.

We generally recommend a balanced fertilizer in any event, rather than a
30-10-10, but we also don't use much bark as potting mix. Kenni

"violaceae" wrote in message

Hi everybody.
I think there're many old hands on this 4rum. Therefore, please let me
know if I was wrong.
- Fertilizers with high Nitrogen concentration such as 30:10:10 can
promote growing but inhibit flowering. Generally, people stops this
kind of fertilizers and replaces with high Potassium concentration
fertilizer (to elongate flower life span).
- Flower cell structure contain mostly water (in layman term, itn't as
stable as the leaf instead of their same origin), so you may keep it in
protected greenhouse to advoid insect (both disease vector and
pollinator are need to be advoided if you want to keep it longer).
- When watering, advoid watering directly on the flower.
Good luck.
PS: I think you can find many flower elongate agent at the agriculture
eqquipment shops. (If you can find Benzylaminopurin, it's so cool)

--
violaceae