Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
Lars Vestman

Default Inorganic material experience......

Hi, greetings from Denmark!

Itīs lovely to see other kindred spirits in this forum, although we
are all so geographically far apart......
I need some advice.
I have recently potted all my phals. and dendrobium from the
traditional bark soil, to an inorganic soil, which goes under the name
" GreenMix" for orchids. I would like to know if there are others who
have experience with this kind of potting material.

Thanks.

Victoria

--
www.vestman.subnet.dk

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Victoria,

What does this "Green Mix" look like?

Diana

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I have grown most of my collection in inorganic media, but have no
experience with GreenMix. What is it?

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

k...

Old 06-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Vestman

"Diana Kulaga" skrev i en meddelelse
rthlink.net...
Hi, Victoria,

What does this "Green Mix" look like?

Diana

It contains a small amount of beads of perlite and mostly of
something like rockwool, but in shredded small balls. It is supposed
to both contain and expel moisture.

Victoria

Old 06-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Ah yes. Thanks.

Basically, some of the rock wool has water-repellent coating. It still
holds water via capillary action between the fibers, but not nearly as much
as the regular hydrophilic fibers. I believe the perlite is added to make
it more airy.

My own experience is with LECA products, but I have used some rock wool in
the past. For me, it has some of the same negative attributes of sphagnum
(too easily packed, making it too soppy), but cannot decompose.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com
Secure Online Ordering & Lots of Free Info!

k...