Old 10-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Al

Default Encyclia withnerii by another name?

I did a google search on an orchid species named Encylia withnerii and came
up with zero hits. Google didn't recognize it at all and gave me a few
links to various Encyclia and asked "Did you mean "Encyclia with Nero"?

Anyway, does anybody recognize this name attached to a synonym.

Old 10-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Al,

Try withneri (it's a one eyed encyclia).

Still not a lot. NY Botanacal Gardens has a dried specimen
http://scisun.nybg.org:8890/searchdb...t?this_id=2818
785

They list it as Epidendrum. Another site Orchid Lady lists it as Encyclia
http://www.orchidlady.com/encyclopedia/e.html

My copy of Manual of Orchids from the Royal Horticultural Society doesn't
list it at all nor does Jay on Orchidspecies.com.

It appears that it was described in the 1977-1981 time frame so older
textbooks won't have it.

Gene

Old 10-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Al

ii looked up the rule for turning modern names into Latin botanicals and you
are right: in this case it is a single i
The specific recommendation from the Tokyo code, if anyone is interested, is
60C.1.(a)

I learned it is named after Carl L Withner a modern orchid botanist whose
name appears as an author in quite a lot of orchid related books, if the
internet is to be believed. So it would be a recently described species, if
it is named after him. And your link to the dried specimen at the NY
botanical garden tells us it was first collected, described and published in
the late 1970s.

Is it normal for the exact collection location to be withheld or is it truly
an endangered or threatened species on the island of Andros in the Bahamas
where it was collected? I suppose there are any number of reasons to
categorize a species found only on one small island to be endangered or
threatened: crazy orchid collectors on vacation, hurricanes, or even a
severe thunderstorm could wipe it into extinction if it's range is truly
this limited.

Gee whiz, a person who owned such a plant is almost obligated to try to
reproduce it. :-)

rthlink.net...

Old 10-05-2003, 05:20 PM
K Barrett

I think the New York Botanical gardens obscures the location in the online
pictures of the herbariums specimen, so as to protect the plant form over
collecting. Information is just too available on the net, I guess.

K Barrett

Old 12-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Gene Schurg

Jim,

That's the Sobralia named for the same man. The plant I have and Al will
pollinate and flask has small flowers and grows from a small pseudobulb.

Gene

. com...