Old 16-05-2003, 02:20 AM
bb

Default orchid house roof panels

I'm in the process of building a lean-to orchid house and can't seem
to decide what is the best roof panel to use. If anyone has any
experience I'd appreciate opinions.

I'm on the west coast of central Florida so we have abundant sunshine.
The structure of the orchid house is of pressure treated lumber
painted white to help keep it cool. Walls will be screen only. Roof
panels will most likely be polycarbonite with 1X4 and 1X6 perlins
approx every 36". I figure the perlins will cut down a certain
percentage of available light.

My question comes down to the light transmitting properties of the
different shades of panels. From what I can find out, the clear
panels let in 90+ % of the light. I seem to be getting different
stories on the grey and white panels. One manufacture seems to say
it's grey panels let in about 70% of light, while another puts it at
20 percent. Same thing with the white panels, one says 45% light,
the other 65%.

Would there really be a difference between the same thickness and
color of polycarbonite panels from different manufactures?

What would be the preferred amount of light to let through,
considering I'm already going to lose some through the perlin spacing?

The local orchid grower I frequent for supplies recommends the white,
but they sell a prefab pvc and pc greenhouse that uses the grey
panels.

Esthetically, I prefer the grey, but the health of my orchid buddies
comes first.

Anyway, I'm hoping to start installing the roof this weekend, after
about six tedious weeks of building and painting the structure. I
thought I have it figured out by now, but I"m still doubting the
choices. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

bb
Old 16-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

bb,

First of all, forget the influence of your structure on light intensity.
The degree of reduction will be insignificant.

Different manufacturers may very well have different transmission levels in
their polycarbonate (note the "a") sheets.

How much light you need depends on the types of plants you grow, and is
affected by the direction your shade house will face, among other factors.

From my standpoint, I'd go with clear, and then use the
much-cheaper-and-easier-to-replace shade cloth to control the light levels.
Imagine the work and expense of selecting and installing one particular
roofing material only to discover that it doesn't let in enough light! You
can always add more shade cloth!

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 16-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Kenni Judd

Ray hit it on the head, as far as he went. It is also quite possible that
you will want to make different shade "zones" within your structure, if you
have a wide mix of plants in your collection -- easily done with shade
cloth, hard [and _very_ un-aesthetic] to do with different colors of roofing
material.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 17-05-2003, 12:32 AM
K Barrett

Ditto what Ray and Kenni said, you can always cut down the light with shade
cloth. Go for the max amount of light.

K Barrett

. ..

Old 20-05-2003, 09:32 PM
bb

On Fri, 16 May 2003 06:13:04 -0400, "Ray @ First Rays Orchids"
wrote:

Thanks Ray, and the other posters, for the input on my roofing
decision.

Different manufacturers may very well have different transmission levels in
their polycarbonate (note the "a") sheets.

That turns out to be the case. One manufactures gray panels let in
20% sun, the other, 84%. Same with the white, one lets in 45%, the
other 78%. I decided on the 78% white panels based on my local orchid
supply houses recommendation, and the information on the orchid
society web site about how much sun to give different varieties. From
what I could tell, 80% sun was about the most recommended. If I found
some need 100% sun I can move those outside. Being on the west
central coast of Florida, 78% sun is still one heck of a lot of sun.

My main reason for going with roof panels rather than just shade cloth
over my trellis was to control how much water they are getting when
we're in our rain every day season. With a 78% sun panel I'm
expecting to have to build another zone or two with shade cloth
anyway.

Once again, thanks to all for the help. Any Ray, I enjoyed your web
site. One of these days I'm going to try the hydro thing so you'll be
hearing from me.

bb

Old 21-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I think you may have misunderstood the shade cloth recommendation. It was
not to use it instead of the rigid roof, but in addition to it.

The idea is that you're looking for a structure to enclose and protect your
plants from the elements. A solid roof - I'd still go for the clear, even
down there - provides the mechanical barrier. The shade cloth is your solar
intensity control, and as was also recommended, you can use different
"weights" of shade cloth to create zones of different light intensities.

The reason I would still go with the clear roof is mathematical: assuming
you agreed with the shade cloth supplement, you have to consider the
availability of the transmission levels and the result through the roofing
AND cloth, as the shade factors multiply. That is a 50% shade cloth results
in roughly 47% or 39% transmission under the clear and white roofs,
respectively.

Using your own argument, if you need something to get full sun, you can move
them outside, but then you don't have protection from the frequent rain!

I guess that for me, it's more of a case of the white cover limiting your
degrees of freedom. I can always add shade, but I cannot add transmittance
through the roof!

Old 21-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 21 May 2003 06:07:24 -0400, "Ray @ First Rays Orchids"
wrote:

I guess that for me, it's more of a case of the white cover limiting your
degrees of freedom. I can always add shade, but I cannot add transmittance
through the roof!

If I may... The one thing no one has mentioned is that 10 years
or so down the road, unless it is glass, you will have mechanical
damage to the surface which will limit the light transfer. Yes,
polycarbonate sheets are tougher then the fiberglass I first saw
used. Have you seen any in your area that show discoloration or
mechanical stress?

We all figure I will have moved to a bigger and better gh before
the panels will show damage. But having put up a lean to for the
5 years we were to be here, 20 years ago, I doubt the change will
happen on schedule.

So go with the clearest you can to start. Weather, age and shade
cloth will all effect your light in the future.
SuE
Old 21-05-2003, 02:56 PM
A. N.

HI ALL
Now that u guys are talking about this.
i'm planning to move to peru very soon, and my idea of a :"greenhouse" for a
tropical weather is.
to make the frame out of wood (or concrete in my case) and just put insect
screen or shade cloth around it and on the top.
and put a moveable roof (easy to made from water pipes and roof panels or
plastic. and put this moveable roof on wheels.
so u can cover the greenhouse when is raining too much, or uncovered it and let
the rain water go through and water u r plants.
just an idea. i guess it will work in florida too

an
K Barrett wrote:

Ditto what Ray and Kenni said, you can always cut down the light with shade
cloth. Go for the max amount of light.

K Barrett

. ..