Old 27-05-2003, 02:08 PM
TheBoss

Default Need Repotting

I just bought my first Phal which clearly needs repotting but it has a
spike growing that is not yet fully developed. Should I repot it now
without removing the spike, or should I let it flower first or can
should I remove the spike and repot?

Regards
Curtis Parris
Old 27-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Curtis,

You did not say why you feel it needs repotting. If the plant is not in
danger because of rotting media then I would leave it bloom and enjoy the
flowers and then repot it. Orchids generally like to be in tight shoes.
Just because the pot does not match the size of the plant is not reason to
repot.

I have successfully repotted phals with spikes. Once the flower buds have
developed things get a bit trickier. You may lose one or all of the flower
buds and have a poor bloom if you repot now.

You have to decide if this is an emergency or whether you can wait a few
weeks.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 27-05-2003, 11:20 PM
TheBoss

The plant has overgrown the pot with all the roots and potting mix
outside and it's leans over so the pot cannot stay straight also it
does have some bad roots. It came from a nursey which grow all these
plant for cutting. I can't get the plant to setup straight without
falling over.
Regards
Curtis
On Tue, 27 May 2003 13:19:00 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

Curtis,

You did not say why you feel it needs repotting. If the plant is not in
danger because of rotting media then I would leave it bloom and enjoy the
flowers and then repot it. Orchids generally like to be in tight shoes.
Just because the pot does not match the size of the plant is not reason to
repot.

I have successfully repotted phals with spikes. Once the flower buds have
developed things get a bit trickier. You may lose one or all of the flower
buds and have a poor bloom if you repot now.

You have to decide if this is an emergency or whether you can wait a few
weeks.

Good Growing,
Gene

.. .

Old 27-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Gene Schurg

Curtis,

Here's a trick I use when I have a plant like that.

Take the plant...pot and all....and sit it in a larger pot. Place a few
stones/gravel around the pot to stablize it.

Another option would be to sit it in a nice ceramic pot (cashe pot) that
would look good while you enjoy the flower.

Good growing,
Gene

wrote:

Curtis,

You did not say why you feel it needs repotting. If the plant is not in
danger because of rotting media then I would leave it bloom and enjoy the
flowers and then repot it. Orchids generally like to be in tight shoes.
Just because the pot does not match the size of the plant is not reason

repot.

I have successfully repotted phals with spikes. Once the flower buds

have
developed things get a bit trickier. You may lose one or all of the

flower
buds and have a poor bloom if you repot now.

You have to decide if this is an emergency or whether you can wait a few
weeks.

Good Growing,
Gene

.. .

Old 28-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

In my opinion, you have not provided sufficient evidence of the need to
repot while the plant is in the process of flowering.

Take Gene's advice and repot when it's done.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

wrote:

Curtis,

You did not say why you feel it needs repotting. If the plant is not in
danger because of rotting media then I would leave it bloom and enjoy the
flowers and then repot it. Orchids generally like to be in tight shoes.
Just because the pot does not match the size of the plant is not reason

repot.

I have successfully repotted phals with spikes. Once the flower buds

have
developed things get a bit trickier. You may lose one or all of the

flower
buds and have a poor bloom if you repot now.

You have to decide if this is an emergency or whether you can wait a few
weeks.

Good Growing,
Gene

.. .

Old 28-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Kenni Judd

Roots outside the pot are no indication whatsoever that a phal needs to be
repotted. The topheaviness can be annoying, but is easily compensated for
as Gene suggested.

If the leaves look stressed [rubbery, wrinkled, yellowing], then cut the
spike and repot, making sure to remove all the old mix. If the mix is badly
decomposed, you may be able to repot without disturbing the spike [usually
it will smell bad when it really needs to be changed]. Otherwise, find that
pretty cachepot and enjoy your incipient flowers.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

wrote:

Curtis,

You did not say why you feel it needs repotting. If the plant is not in
danger because of rotting media then I would leave it bloom and enjoy the
flowers and then repot it. Orchids generally like to be in tight shoes.
Just because the pot does not match the size of the plant is not reason

repot.

I have successfully repotted phals with spikes. Once the flower buds

have
developed things get a bit trickier. You may lose one or all of the

flower
buds and have a poor bloom if you repot now.

You have to decide if this is an emergency or whether you can wait a few
weeks.

Good Growing,
Gene

.. .

Old 28-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 27 May 2003 18:17:36 -0400, TheBoss
wrote:

The plant has overgrown the pot with all the roots and potting mix
outside and it's leans over so the pot cannot stay straight also it
does have some bad roots. It came from a nursey which grow all these
plant for cutting. I can't get the plant to setup straight without
falling over.
Regards
Curtis

The outside roots do not necessarily signal bad roots in the pot.
Many Phal.s like to have some roots 'wave in the breeze.' If the
mix is not chunky bark, but has turned into 'compost' in a pot; I
would repot.
As to setting straight, the grower may have aided this habit.
Some growers set the pots on 45% angles to aid drainage. It
helps prevent crown rot. The center point of the plant is called
the crown. It is the growth point and very tender. If water
sits in this area (as it might if the plant sat square) it can
lead to crown rot and the loss of the entire plant.
Try to set the pot in another larger pot to balance it where you
want to display it. Or just prop it into place. The flowers
will generally cascade more gracefully with a slight tip to the
pot.

Welcome to the ADDICTION. You will love it.
SuE

Need advice/tips for repotting my Aloe without breaking him Clara Gardening 6 16-02-2012 12:08 PM
Need some suggestions/help/instructions for repotting a couple of orchids. TIA! Brane Dead Orchids 5 04-05-2005 10:47 AM
repotting. Buridan Bonsai 0 15-02-2003 09:03 PM
Trunk chop and repotting ss Bonsai 2 30-01-2003 04:37 AM
Repotting Phalanopsis Greg Orchids 5 26-01-2003 04:09 AM