Old 28-05-2003, 12:44 AM
warren ashley kennith williams

Default Paphiopedilums in tall pots

How many Paph growers grow their plants in tall pots ? If not then one
should consider it as I am having great success growing the genus this way.
The roots really love it and fill a pot up quickly.

Warren

Old 28-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

You've got my vote for tall paph pots.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"warren ashley kennith williams" wrote in
message . ..

Old 28-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Dave Lockwood

I've started trying the tall pots they use for Asian Cymbidiums. The ones
with the holes in the side seem the best. Tentative results look promising.
My only problem is getting enough of the pots at a decent price. Anyone
have a source?
Hopefully,
Dave

Old 28-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 28 May 2003 03:13:48 GMT, "Dave Lockwood"
wrote:

I've started trying the tall pots they use for Asian Cymbidiums. The ones
with the holes in the side seem the best. Tentative results look promising.
My only problem is getting enough of the pots at a decent price. Anyone
have a source?
Hopefully,
Dave

I would like to find some to use on a couple of Cym. The only
tall ones I have seen were very expensive for a plain pot.
SuE

Old 28-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I grow all my paphs in semi-hydroponic pots, and as that's the genus that
started the process, they are all tall.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com
Secure Online Ordering & Lots of Free Info!

u...

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Sekanek

Yes I too have found much great success in growing in taller pots as well ,
for some of my paphs, I may just pot up all of them in taller pots as well ,
they do seem to like it.
All of my Paph. kolopakingii's and various crosses, mostly strap leafs are
starting to spike with bloom , after I repotted them to taller pots .
I've just repotted Paph. Eagle peak x Paph. sandra , last christmas it had
five magnificent flowers, that lasted for close to a month or two ........
Good Growing to all!!!
Todd Wharton

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Frank H. Kirchner

I too have been very pleased with the results of using tall pots. I'm using
a couple of inches of stone at the bottom of the pot which helps to
stabilize the pot as the plant grows. I previously used Paph Perfect pots
and was very disappointed when they went out of business. Since then I have
found Ocean Spray cranberry juice containers to be perfect. I slice off the
top, add some drainage holes, and I 'm good to go. An added advantage is
that they are clear so it's easy to see roots, water, etc. Give it a try
and I think you'll like it. Plus the cranberry juice is good for we humans
too! ;-)

Frank
"Sekanek" wrote in message
. com...
Yes I too have found much great success in growing in taller pots as well

,

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Gene Schurg

Susan,

Check out Treepots. These are black plastic pots used by tree growers. I
have been growing a couple of Phrags in them for the past year and they seem
to enjoy the vertical space for the roots and the leaves don't drag on the
bench.

I put some screen in the bottom and put some heavy gravel in the bottom for
stability.

http://www.stuewe.com/products/treepots.shtml

The "short one" and "tall one" would be good for larger plants.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Dave Lockwood

Frank,
What a great idea! I knew someone in this group would be clever about
this problem. Thanks for the idea.
Dave
"Frank H. Kirchner" wrote in message
I too have been very pleased with the results of using tall pots. I'm

using
a couple of inches of stone at the bottom of the pot which helps to
stabilize the pot as the plant grows. I previously used Paph Perfect pots
and was very disappointed when they went out of business. Since then I

have
found Ocean Spray cranberry juice containers to be perfect. I slice off

the
top, add some drainage holes, and I 'm good to go. An added advantage is
that they are clear so it's easy to see roots, water, etc. Give it a try
and I think you'll like it. Plus the cranberry juice is good for we

humans
too! ;-)

Frank
. com...

Old 31-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Diana Kulaga

I have only one Paph, having killed my first one. Learned a bit about them
and decided to try again. After the flower went by I put it in SH, in a
tall pot. It's as healthy as a horse!

Diana

[...]

"Sekanek" wrote in message
. com...
Yes I too have found much great success in growing in taller pots as

well
,
for some of my paphs, I may just pot up all of them in taller pots as

well
,
they do seem to like it.
All of my Paph. kolopakingii's and various crosses, mostly strap leafs

are
starting to spike with bloom , after I repotted them to taller pots .
I've just repotted Paph. Eagle peak x Paph. sandra , last christmas it

had
five magnificent flowers, that lasted for close to a month or two

Good Growing to all!!!
Todd Wharton

How tall is TOO tall for seedlings? qazwsxed Gardening 3 23-03-2011 09:57 PM
Paphiopedilums Wendy7 Garden Photos 4 21-02-2010 08:49 PM
Struggling to find homes for New Zealand Tree Ferns ranging in size from 7ft tall to over 10ft tall. PLEASE HELP [email protected] Gardening 0 26-07-2007 12:12 AM
Tall Pots? jtill Orchids 17 02-07-2006 08:32 PM