Old 06-06-2003, 05:32 PM
J. Del Col

Default Nylon abrasive pads as orchid mounts?

I was in a builder's supply store the other and saw some of the
rectangular nylon abrasive pads used to scour rust and paint off wood
and metal surfaces.
I was struck by the idea that they might be suitable mounts for
orchids that need to be mounted on tree fern or bark slabs.

The pads are light, durable, porous and inert. Fastening an orchid
and some moss to them would be easy. Can anyone think of a good
reason not to try this?
These pads would last a lot longer than any natural product. Cleaning
them for
reuse would be easy too.

J. Del Col

Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Gene Schurg

How would they look when you grow this beautiful orchid and it's stuck to an
abrasive pad?

I guess when I mount the plant I try to imagine something beautiful and
natural and I can't picture this.

Just my two cents,
Gene

m...

Old 06-06-2003, 09:56 PM
IiSpankyii

Why not mount that pad to a piece of grapevine or something similiar, and since
its not going to rot, (the pad) it could pretty much stay mounted this way
until it outgrows the pad. Sounds like a neat idea to me. Might give it a try
with an extra plant or two. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I'd put money on the table that the nylon will do worse when exposed to UV
than a piece of cork bark would!

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

m...

Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Ur probably right and I was also thinking I like looking at a plant mounted
on something "real" rather than plastic...

"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote in message
I'd put money on the table that the nylon will do worse when exposed to UV
than a piece of cork bark would!

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com
Secure Online Ordering & Lots of Free Info!

m...

Old 07-06-2003, 02:08 PM
J. Del Col

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message rthlink.net...
How would they look when you grow this beautiful orchid and it's stuck to an
abrasive pad?

I guess when I mount the plant I try to imagine something beautiful and
natural and I can't picture this.

Just my two cents,
Gene

The pads are a sort of charcoal gray. They don't look that bad.

J. Del Col
Old 07-06-2003, 02:20 PM
J. Del Col

"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote in message ...
I'd put money on the table that the nylon will do worse when exposed to UV
than a piece of cork bark would!

Well, I accidently left one of them out in the yard a couple of years
ago, it still looks as good as new, maybe a little bleached, but
that's all.

J. Del Col