Old 08-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Mick Fournier

Default Enc. mariae

Addict Todd Sekanek,

I see this is your fourth foray into RGO in which you have uploaded full
blown graphics to RGO in the last 2 weeks. If I am estimating correctly,
you are an overly exuberant newbie way too excited about your newfound hobby
and your new camera... and so you feel compelled to **** all over RGO with
your "must see" photographs. Well, I have news for you... your photographs
are far from the "must see" caliber deserving any notice.

Look around you. Do you see anyone else uploading full graphic images to
this newsgroup? Did you even bother researching out this newsgroup's
traditions prior May 28 to see if RGO was actually receptive to full graphic
uploads before you started bombing us with your 5 & 10 cent photos readily
available from any 2-bit basic orchid book? This is not a newsgroup for
uploading pictures to... this is a newsgroup of words and thoughts in short
1-5 KB posts.

If you want to upload graphic images then keep the files on YOUR ISP's hard
drive and simply give us the URL hyperlink to it in a 1 KB post... don't
choke this newsgroup with your fat run-of-the-mill photographs.

Show a little respect around here and stop crapping all over RGO.

Thanks

Mick

PS, and remember there is NOT always room in a greenhouse for 2-3 more
orchids... using that short-sighted mentality you will soon simply overwhelm
the greenhouse with orchids (like your space eating $2 Encyclias) and they
all begin to suffer from lack of proper light, moving air and nutrients as
overcrowding grabs hold in a restricted space. Think Quality... not
Quantity and you will grow up to be a smart orchid grower.

------------------------

"Sekanek" wrote in message
m...
This is a neat lil orchid , I could'nt resist buying it , I'm a sucker for

species I guess, but then who am I kidding I'm addicted to orchids , and

yes
ther is always room for one more or two or three...;c)
Good Growing
Todd

Old 08-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Wendy

Hi Todd,
Please post your orchid pictures to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
This news group is for questions, answers, statements etc.
Cheers Wendy

Old 10-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Jim S

Well Mick,

That was a rather harsh response to Todd. Do you not remember being a newbie
to the addiction, or has your money, ego, and flasking ability clouded your
memory of those days long ago?

It would be sad to think that only quality growers are allowed in RGO, for
if that were true, could your status as a quality grower be assured? I
wonder? I would hate to think that this is a "select" group in here, and
that only those who condescend to look down there nose at the common grower,
would be allowed to join in on your mockery of those less informed then
oneself. Or perhaps one has lost the notion that one also came from humble
beginnings and at one time also needed to be taught the etiquette of RGO, or
perhaps just common etiquette in general?
Perhaps overlooking the faux-pa of another less informed than oneself, was
missed in your prep school training, maybe you missed it while you were
attending a convention on arrogance.

Or more importantly have you forgotten that ones own focus does not, in any
way reflect the opinion of the entire whole of RGO! Also I wonder is one
obsessing on an individual to give oneself a semblance of control that one
feels is missing in his own life (projecting) Hmmm?

Happy Growing

Jim

. ..

Old 10-06-2003, 06:44 PM

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:14:19 GMT, "Jim S"
wrote:

... your mockery of those less informed then oneself ...

If the readership of this newsgroup were to periodically
(monthly;weekly?) publish a FAQ, new readers would have some inkling
of what is accepted here.

However, any usenet reader should be aware, that the only appropriate
newsgroup for posting non-text articles is in the binaries newsgroups.

In the old days (early '80s) news reading client software imposed a
mandatory visit to news.announce.newusers to read the documents posted
there. Today, introductory usenet information is available here as
well: http://member.newsguy.com/~schramm/nnqlinks.html

This newsgroup's charter is available he
ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.an...ardens.orchids

I would like to start a Request for Discussion to create a new
group, rec.gardens.orchids. Bob Hill .

CHARTER

This group is designed to allow orchid hobbyists to discuss orchid
types, cultivation and propagation techniques, and orchid
events. Questions ranging from very simple (what is an orchid?) to
very complex and scientific are welcomed. Discussion should be
limited to orchids, with discussion of bromeliads and other
epiphytes also acceptable. Orchid growing areas (greenhouses,
outdoor conditions) are also an acceptable topic of discussion.

Old 10-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Mick Fournier

Sweetie 10,

On October 22, 2000 the Totally Unofficial New RGO Constitution/Guidelines
were debated (for 2 weeks prior) and created on line within RGO.

Perhaps you may find them interesting.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...uidelines.html

Item #5 deals with photographs.

Mick

================================

Old 10-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Mick Fournier

Jim S (Last name unknown),

I remember well being a newbie here... and I remember the 8 weeks I spent in
complete silence before I posted one thing on RGO. I learned within the
first few days that this was a newsgroup not suited/designed for the upload
of full blown photographs. I think it polite that any newbie at least show
the courtesy to investigate the newsgroup for a few days before "jumping in"
and uploading anything... not one photograph was posted on RGO for nearly 2
months before Todd bombed us with his 3 dime-a-dozen orchid (2 plants
un-named) photographs of May 30 easily found on any boring Home Depot garden
display wall. Even a basic simple 2 minute pre-search would have revealed
that fact to him that this is not a binary/graphic type discussion group...
he didn't even bother with that basic courteous research formality. And
so, I likewise felt I also could skip one level of formality/civility in my
note to him and he would totally understand.

I might point out that on his three photographs (of May 30) I initially
restrained my desire to write to him on RGO and hoped he would see the
discourtesy of his posts soon enough... he obviously did not. The fourth
photo upload (June 8) was a disregard of the traditions on RGO... I then
posted up my previously "postponed" point to him. Can you image if every
6-week experienced orchid newbie started bombing us with his newbie photo
keepsakes? This place would be minefield in no time flat for dial-up users
on non-ADSL lines.

And orchids are not an addiction for me... I have outgrown that worn out
stupid moniker and I encourage others to do so also. These orchids are
just plants of the earth! Orchids do not rule our lives like heroin and
cocaine which are truly addictions. I want to throw up every time I hear
someone say orchids are an addiction... what a bunch of bourgeoisie hogwash
that notion is.

The opinions I express in my posts are mine and no one else's opinion. If
other RGOers want to write countering me and encouraging every newbie to
upload his full blown Orchids 101 photographs to this newsgroup then go
ahead. If this kid is lost to RGO because of my comment then so be it...
but just remember for every discourteous poster "lost" in this fashion
probably two dozen new posters have received a quick mini-class on the RGO
traditions in the lesson herein. I think it is a fair trade off.

Mick

PS... and yes, on every newsgroup at least one member is going to be classed
as arrogant. Such a title does not bother me and many of my compatriots
here will easily attest to that. I do the dirty work here that no one else
wants to touch... and I have a proud history of that.

Enc. atrorubens x Enc. cordigera Wendy7 Orchid Photos 1 12-04-2008 08:56 PM
Euchile mariae 1 P Max Orchid Photos 0 14-12-2006 12:44 PM
gimi a break was Enc. mariae Jim S Orchids 0 11-06-2003 01:20 AM
Epi. vs. Enc? Diana Kulaga Orchids 3 24-02-2003 03:53 PM