Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Rob Halgren

Default FAQ

I'd forgotten the charter wording, but I remember voting on it...
As to a FAQ, someone had written one years and years ago (Aaron
maybe?). Or we talked about it. I'd not mind getting the discussion
going about writing another one. I'd be happy to maintain it and post
it on a regular basis. I've been here forever and I'm not planning on
leaving, go ahead and try to kick me out... *grin*. I don't
particularly have the time to write the entire FAQ though, or even most
of it. If everybody chips in a section, I'd collate them. I have a
'FAQ-let' that I wrote in 93, maybe 94 on my webpage, if anybody wants
to read it.

FAQs are great resources for information, but unfortunately it
doesn't do much to police any group. Some people won't read it, people
who intentionally abuse the group _certainly_ won't read it, newbies
don't usually know FAQs exist, and it might cut down on some interesting
discussion. I like 'newbies' to ask questions. I often learn something
too. Of course it helps to not have to answer the 'where do I cut my
phalaenopsis stem' question every other day, but it isn't that burdensome.

I'm not as annoyed as Mick by binary posting. But I'm hooked into
one of the fastest connections at a university which is on the fastest
backbone in the world... At least at work. If the students aren't
hammering Napster, I can get almost anything instantaneously. I don't
even try to read the newsgroup at home, I'm lucky to get 26 kbs. I'd
really be ****ed if I had to wade through my dialup connection to get
binary images I couldn't even see. So keep them in the binary groups
where they belong.

Rob

This newsgroup's charter is available he
ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.an...ardens.orchids

I would like to start a Request for Discussion to create a new
group, rec.gardens.orchids. Bob Hill .

CHARTER

This group is designed to allow orchid hobbyists to discuss orchid
types, cultivation and propagation techniques, and orchid
events. Questions ranging from very simple (what is an orchid?) to
very complex and scientific are welcomed. Discussion should be
limited to orchids, with discussion of bromeliads and other
epiphytes also acceptable. Orchid growing areas (greenhouses,
outdoor conditions) are also an acceptable topic of discussion.

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 11-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Aaron Hicks

Rob Halgren spaketh thusly, and the earth did
tremble like a T. rex with gas:

I'd forgotten the charter wording, but I remember voting on it...
As to a FAQ, someone had written one years and years ago (Aaron
maybe?). Or we talked about it.

I maintained a bunch of stuff written largely by other people with
some input from stuff I had time to cobble together. It's still around,
but it's not really a "FAQ" in the sense that it's a question-and-answer
sort of thing. More like, "Here's the answers. If it doesn't answer your
question, ask it. Coolio?"

Over the years, I archived a bunch of stuff at New Mexico Tech,
and copied it before I left in case they pulled the plug. Anyway, it's all
mirrored he

http://members.cox.net/lmlauman/osp/...mt_mirror.html

There's a loooooot of stuff in there.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 11-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Al

I think there is a difference between "Frequently Asked Questions" and
"Rules To Post BY"

For instance, the number one FAQ is probably either, "The leaves are
yellowing on my orchid, what's a person to do?" or "The flowers just fell
off of my Phal., should I cut off the long stalk thingie they grew on?"

And the number one RTPB, (based on their tendency to start long inconclusive
discussions about FAQs) is either "Post pictures to the www with a link to
them here or post them to ABPO" or "A short notice of intent to sell plants
plus a link to the list is preferable to posting the list of sale plants
here."

I believe any FAQ posted to this newsgroup on a repeating schedule by
anybody willing to follow through with this endevour should include a
mixture of the two types of information and should be a short as and sweet
as is humanly possible. ...no offence to Aaron's HUGE file of info, but a
list of maybe 10 FAQ/RTPB that is no longer than 15 or 20 KB would be nifty
and maybe even helpful, although it won't stop the occasion and most likely
accidiental assult to the sensabilities of those who care what or how
something gets posted.

If somebody just started posting one the worst that could happen is flame
war, and nobody, (not in this newsgroup anyway) ever died from one of those.
Remember nobody is in charge so nobody can give or take away permission.
All we can really do is try to work together and when we can't work togehter
all we can do is sling insults, filibuster, or try to ignore one another.
Remember also: it's all been said and done already and yet it's new to
somebody.

Al
Do I need to get out the mothballed Jester suit or will we be needing the
Alien Death Ray?

Old 11-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Mick Fournier

Al,

Ooooo... I love the old Alien Death Ray.

Dust it off and bring it out for at least one day. Puuuullllleesssseee.

Mick

Old 12-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Jim S

i vote for alien death ray

FAQ List - FAQ List - FAQ List cormaic United Kingdom 2 06-11-2003 05:37 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 2 30-01-2003 12:44 PM
has the FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 1 30-01-2003 12:41 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 06:26 AM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 05:56 AM