Old 21-06-2003, 03:20 AM
scullytac

Default dormancy

Hi all,
I am new here and need some advise. I have a Phalenopsis which bloomed
beautifully for a long time. Now that it is past bloom, how do I care for it
until it is ready to bloom again?
thanks in advance

Old 21-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Gene Schurg

Scully,

First of all you did not mention what kind of phal you have so I will assume
it's one of the large flowered hybrids.

I'm also assuming that you grow in a window and the plant is in a plastic
pot.

First: check the media to see if it has broken down and the plant needs to
be repotted. A couple of ways to do this would be first smell it and see if
it has a sour odor (rotting), carefully tap the plant out of the pot (if it
comes out easily) and check to see if you have chunks of medium or rotten
sawdust. If the plant was potted in long fibred moss you probably want to
repot it since the moss only lasts less than a year and will hold water and
rot the roots.

After you evaluate the potting mix you have to decide whether the plant
needs a bigger pot. Don't go crazy here. I seldom pot my phals in anything
larger than a 6 inch pot. Better to have a pot too small than one too
large.

Now take a look at the top of the plant. If the old flower spike is still
on the plant I'd cut it off about 1/2 inch from the base of the stalk. Some
people leave these on to see if they get more flowers but I feel this drains
the plants energy and reduces the number and size of next year's flowers.

Take a look at the leaves now...they should be medium green and firm. Look
under the leaves for any bugs (mealie bugs love phals) and if you find
anything spray for them.

Now, if you make it through all of this place the plant in an east window or
a couple feet from a south window. Water it to keep it damp but not soggy
(underwater rather than overwater). Go to www.theaos.org and check out the
culture sheet for Phalaenopsis.

Finally, that phal will get very lonely at night if it's the only one you
have. It needs a couple of friends. Run out to the nearest orchid
specialty nursury or mailorder supplier and buy a couple of more. Soon
you'll be trying other varieties. Jump in with both feet, this is the most
frustrating and fun hobby you could attempt. When you get your first blooms
that came from your own work it is very exciting. Every time I discover a
plant about to bloom I still feel that excitement.

Good Growing,
Gene

P.S. Loved you in the X-files.

Old 21-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Gene gave some good advice, but there's one point you must realize: being
past blooming does NOT equal dormancy! Now is the time when your plant
needs to build up its strength to bloom again next year.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com