Old 04-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Oncidium flexorum

Diane,

One of the tricks I use to keep plants oriented in the same direction is to
put an orange plant label in the pot. I use different colored labels to
indicate different things (orange - plant in spike, blue - dry period,
green - potential sale/give away plant, etc). I try to put the orange label
on the side of the pot that would be closest to the brick wall on the back
of the greenhouse. That way the pot always faces the light in a similar
manner.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
et...
I think I have great changes, Inside this house is darkif I don't turn on
lights due to the wooded lot, and you must wear sunglasses in the sun

here-
when i see a new growth on a plant i seem to want to check it out- or

notice
the growth while handling. I just might mark the pots "n for north, s ,e

,w
" in the rim so I know which angle to keep it at on the windowsill.

all my progress this year and, it was time to move them outside this week-
hope I didn't set them back too much. I don't turn the orchids in bloom,

but
didn't think it mattered on the others

On the other hand a young oncidium sprouted a new growth so fast after
moving that it was wrinkled ( always water it so I don't think it was too
dry) and the new pseudobulb split the old leaf from the new larger size.

I've lost a lot of new growths on oncidiums- they keep on sprouting new
shoots

Diane

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Diane,

It can cause problems if you rotate a plant and the new growth has a new
microclimate that it doesn't like.

If the new growth is shaded from the hot sun or the heat coming off the
window and you rotate the plant so that the new growth gets too warm it
could burn. The same goes for cold weather and the draft off the

window.

I guess I think of that new growth as a new baby. An adult would not

think
about walking outdoors in the hot sun but a new baby would sunburn in a

few
minutes. The new growth has to adapt to the microclimate.

This isn't much of an issue if your growing environment doesn't have big
temp or sunlight variants.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
news
are you saying Gene that an oncidium will have trouble if it's

rotated?
Mine
have been moved around quite a bit

Diane

"Dave Lockwood" wrote in message
A couple of months ago I mentioned a local society meeting where Sue
Fordyce
gave a talk. Among many of the items she covered was "dormant"

growth
points or "eyes". She said Cattleyas have two on each psuedobulb.

If
the
active one gets damaged the dormant one swings into action. In fact

she
said some people take advantage of this and will cut the rhizome on

large
plant forcing new growth further back. You will get a much larger

flower
display. I do understand that judges don't like to see this and

will
ding
you for it. That only matters if you give a hoot what other people

think
of
your plants. Personally I don't. I don't show my restored cars or

my
orchids, just enjoy both!
"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
news Paulo,

Yes, this is quite normal. When a lead growth dies, the plant

activates
an
older "eye", or growing point, on an older pseudobulb. Sometimes

it
will
activate another eye on the current pseudobulb instead.

-Eric in SF

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Everyone, i have a question...my onc.flexorum is growing from

the
oldest
pseudobulb....and the growth it had in the youngest one is

dying....Is
it
commun to grow from an old pseudobulb?

Old 04-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Wendy

Yes, I do a similar thing..... I always keep the name tag at the back of the
plant & place it so
that the leads face south? Cheers Wendy

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
news Paulo,

Yes, this is quite normal. When a lead growth dies, the plant
activates
an
older "eye", or growing point, on an older pseudobulb. Sometimes

it
will
activate another eye on the current pseudobulb instead.

-Eric in SF

.. .

Old 04-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Diane Mancino

Gee, that's too easy! now another thought. If the plant is getting a little
too much sun will the new leads grow away from the sun? Or grow towards the
sun if it wants more? I think I have a dend King.that is like that- looks
like its blowing in the wind. how can I correct that, if possible?

One of my problems is that I was so busy since I moved here 1 1/2 yrs ago,
that I don't even know how much sun my patio gets during the day. I
certainly have no time to be on it!

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
news Paulo,

Yes, this is quite normal. When a lead growth dies, the plant
activates
an
older "eye", or growing point, on an older pseudobulb.

Sometimes
it
will
activate another eye on the current pseudobulb instead.

-Eric in SF

.. .

Old 04-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Gene Schurg

Diane,

There are some plants in nature that perfer not to grow in the full sun.
When their environment changes (storm damage, logging, death of the
surrounding trees) these plants will grow toward the shade and the more
hospitable environment.

I don't know the culture for your dendrobium but it is not unreasonable that
it would grow toward the best environment.

Now, go out and enjoy your patio and quit working so hard!

Old 04-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Diane Mancino

arr, I'm doing the worst chore-scraping the house (glad its a ranch style)
before painting. Actually its a relief to get the chipped paint off the
cedar siding, and I wish someone else here was better at it than I am, but
I'm earning my orchid gazing time- Us northerners only have a few months to
do this in

ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 3 11-08-2003 04:22 PM
ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 0 11-08-2003 06:06 AM
ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 0 11-08-2003 06:05 AM
Other backyard project on the 4th was Oncidium flexorum K Barrett Orchids 19 06-07-2003 03:44 PM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 12:45 AM