Old 04-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Gene Schurg

Default Name the Orphans

We all have them in our collection. They come from many places, in my case
the widow lady up the street who was afraid she'd kill it. The no name
orphan plant.

You work hard and nurse them back to health. You give them the same TLC
that you give your pedigreed plants. Sometimes they get extra care because
you want them to grow (just to show them you can do it).

They have some value. When you need a plant for the office (dry dark
unhealthy environment) or you need a gift for someone who probably will not
take care of it but appreciates a flower.

Eventually you take it to the orchid society meeting for the show table and
impress your friends. When you fill out the entry form Phal. No Name just
doesn't do it justice. What's an orchid grower to do?

Here's a few names you can try to impress your friends and give the plant
some status (not for AOS Judging):

Aunt Fanny's gift plant - Phal Aunt Fanny "Birthday Gift"

The plant you picked up at Home Depot sale table - Phal Home Depot
"Clearance Shelf" SP/HD
(SP/HD means it was awarded a Sales Price from the Home Depot)

The plant that comes from the secretary at work that shows up one day on
your desk - Phal. Abandoned "Orphan"

Good growing,
Gene

I'm sure you all have more to add!

Old 04-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Diana Kulaga

Den. "Diana's Folly" and Den. "Joke's on You", for the two no name Dens that
were the first orchids I ever bought, when I was a complete ninny and
unaware of what lay in front of me!

Diana

rthlink.net...

Old 04-07-2003, 10:32 PM
profpam

How about Dubious dendrobrium and Pregunta Pescatorea?

Oh, well, all of us find labels missing from our plants; however, if we
diligently cataloged the plants when in bloom and in which case they
come into bloom once again they can be easily identified once again.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 05-07-2003, 12:44 AM
test

In article ink.net,
"Gene Schurg" wrote:

We all have them in our collection. They come from many places, in my case
the widow lady up the street who was afraid she'd kill it. The no name
orphan plant.

Phal. NOID "Conference Room" currently blooming its head off (see ABPO)
Phal. NOID "Reception Desk" currently growing leaves and roots all over
Den. NOID "Home Depot" currently dying

--j_a

Old 06-07-2003, 03:32 AM
ARIET B

A year or 2 ago, a neighbor handed me his most prized possession- his FIRST
orchid, which he bought in bloom....a lovely Vanda. He said he thought he had
failed at maintaining it- and it was a sorry sight. He was leaving Florida for
his northern home. "Would I care for it?"
It had no tag- and so I made one for it- Vanda notagocium. By the next
fall it was in glorious bloom again- and I had forgotten about my
newly-constructed name for the thing. Did I have a time trying to look it up!
Eventually I read the name out loud, and then recalled that THIS was the
mystery plant of the neighbor. When he returned to Florida, I gave him back
his blooming Vanda- and you never saw such a happy man.
I never told him about the name I gave it.
Moral: you must keep some kind of record of your "new" "pet" names, too.

Elinor

Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 06:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
[IBC] Tree Name Database. Was [IBC] Name Meaning Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 16-10-2004 10:45 AM
orchid name lookup rick Orchids 8 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
And the name is..... apostolis Bonsai 1 27-01-2003 10:05 PM