Old 15-07-2003, 07:52 PM
J. Del Col

Default Cedar roofing shakes for orchid mounts

Here's yet another idea inspired by a trip to the local builders'
supply store.

I saw a bundle of old cedar roofing shakes and started to wonder
whether
they'd be useful as slabs for orchid mounts. The store gave me a few
to try
out, and I now have two divisions of an upward growing Onc. specimen
(I don't
know what species or cultivar) mounted on them with some "orchid
moss."

BTW, the idea I broached earlier about using nylon abrasive pads as
orchid mounts is getting a test with an Aer. citrata. So far, so
good.

J. Del Col
Old 15-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Gene Schurg

J,

I have heard these work well as mounts. The rough untreated wood allows the
roots to cling to the roofing shake. I would guess they age and turn a nice
shade of gray.

Gene

m...

Old 16-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:20:19 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

J,

I have heard these work well as mounts. The rough untreated wood allows the
roots to cling to the roofing shake. I would guess they age and turn a nice
shade of gray.

Gene

You have to be careful some of the shakes are now treated with a
fire retardant. As long as you check that yours are clean - you
should be fine.
SuE