Old 24-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Philipp Christ

Default Paph identity

Hello,

perhaps someone could help us to identify this Paph:

http://www.orchideen-forum.de/board/...ime=1061725587

The first two pictures on this page show my plant. It would be nice, if
someone knew a name for it.

Philipp

Old 24-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Ray

I would guess a Maudiae hybrid or other callossum hybrid - probably
otherwise unidentifiable.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

http://www.orchideen-forum.de/board/...31&time=106172

Old 24-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Steve

For a moment, I thought you had a callosum. I guess probably not. I had
to compare to a picture of mine:
http://stevewilson.homestead.com/fil...landensis3.jpg
Mine is labeled as Paph thailandensis but it is usually considered one
of the forms of callosum. Yours is probably at least part callosum.

Steve

Old 26-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Philipp Christ

I hoped that someone knew my hybrid... but thank you for helping

Philipp

Old 26-08-2003, 09:02 PM
K Barrett

Its impossible to accurately identify an orchid hybrid once the tag has been
lost. There is just too much variety within a hybrid for 100% accuracy.
Thousands of individual orchid plants are made in a cross, and they are all
different. Different degrees of colors, shapes, you name it.

There's a popular TV show called 'Antiques Roadshow' here in the US and
another called 'Ask the Experts' in the UK, probably Germany has one
similar. People bring their treasures out of their attics and ask about
their value.The first question the experts always ask if if the item has any
'provenance', something that states that the item really is what the owner
purports it to be. The plant tag is the plant's provenance. Without it it
could be said to be anything, and so becomes valueless to people other than
its owner. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I say this because I have been distressed to see so many 'lost plant tag'
questions here and on other forums where someone posts a picture of their
plant and hopes someone can give them the plant's name. While this can
sometimes work with species it cannot be 100% guaranteed accurate for
hybrids. There is just too much variation amongest them. I fear that people
are placing these names on their tags because 'someone online' said it was
so. This muddies the waters of nomenclature. While I doubt any of us would
use our plants in a breeding program, someone just might use these
misidentified plants in their hobby program and screw up the system. Worse
yet they might sell the plant to a friend or society member only to find out
later that the name is wrong and get accused of passing along bad plants. So
much for your reputation!

So, I hope you all aren't labeling your plants by these suggested names.
They are probably close, but not necessarily true. And people want true.

As always, put 2 labels in the pot. One buried in the potting medium that
won't fade, get lost, be moved by unsophisticated visitors or grandchildren,
and one visible one for your reference.

Sorry about the rant.

K Barrett