Old 01-09-2003, 08:42 PM
dd

Default Outdoors to indoors, insecticide and fungicide

The nights are getting cooler in New England, and I'm going to bring in
some phals, dendrobiums, and oncidiums that have been summering
outside. If anyone could answer the following questions, I'd be
grateful.

1. One night, we had an overnight temperature of 52 degrees. This seems
too cold to me, and seems like a clue to bring in the orchids real
soon. At the moment, they're still outside and looking healthy,
but...How cold is too cold to you? (My orchids are huddled up against
the east side of the house, so they are somewhat protected from the
elements.)

2. An oncidium looks like it has a problem with a bacterial/virus type
infection, and I need to spray it with funginex. A couple of the phals
have scale and what appears to be a bacterial infection (pitted leaves
that look like those that were recently posted). I read (somewhere)
that one shouldn't dose an orchid with both a pesticide and fungicide
at the same time. Ok, if I want to use both treatments, how long should
I wait between the two treatments? Until one dries? A day? A week?

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Diana Kulaga

1. One night, we had an overnight temperature of 52 degrees. This seems
too cold to me, and seems like a clue to bring in the orchids real soon.

As far as the temps go, just watch that it isn't going much under 50 for
extended periods. In fact, your Phals are probably enjoying the diurnal
range, since they need a bit of chill to encourage spiking later in fall.
The oncidiums, in my experience, anyway, will throw a hissy fit if they get
too cold.

2. An oncidium looks like it has a problem with a bacterial/virus type

infection, and I need to spray it with funginex. A couple of the phals have
scale and what appears to be a bacterial infection (pitted leaves that look
like those that were recently posted). I read (somewhere) that one shouldn't
dose an orchid with both a pesticide and fungicide at the same time. Ok, if
I want to use both treatments, how long should I wait between the two
treatments? Until one dries? A day? A week?

If you use a natural insecticide on the scale (here's a link for you:
www.firstrays.com then go to the page on natural remedies), then I don't
see why you couldn't go ahead and use your chemicals the next day. Both the
scale and the infections that you reference can do a lot of damage fast, so
the sooner the better.

Diana

Old 01-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Ray

Temperatures in the 50's is no problem for most orchids. As a matter of
fact, it'll help your phals initiate spikes.

As to point 2 - you think it's a bacterial/viral infection, but plan on
using a fungicide and/or insecticide? Apply what's appropriate.

Chances are it's either bacterial or fungal in nature anyway, so Funginex
might be a good start, anyway. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably start
with a cinnamon/alcohol spray to kill both bacteria and fungi, repeating
every few days for three or four treatments.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 02-09-2003, 06:04 AM
Pat Brennan

If your plants have been out all summer and your leaves are pitted likes
those in the recent pictures your plants most likely have or had spider
mites. The pitting will not go away when the mites are gone. The spider
mites are all but impossible to see but you can sometimes find a little
webbing on the underside of the leaves. Rays mix should take care of them
as well as the other problems. Funginex is not a spray that is used on
orchids often and it will just not help most common orchid problems.

Pat

Old 02-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Diane Mancino

I see the weather has been on other grower's minds also. When are you
bringing in your plants? what temperature? I'm only going to move them once-
it would be a pain to do it more. I installed a new free weather softwear
Weather Depot ( USA only) on my computer, that doesn't have any advertising
on it ( after 1 week it still is only reporting the weather)
The temperature shows on the taskbar next to the clock.

I think these rain showers and outdoor light are beneficial. I'm going to
treat all the pots for any outside resident bugs and spiders. Great home
remedy page, Ray http://www.firstrays.com/remedies.htm, I'll be putting it
to use.

Are you bringing in everything at once? I know the cymbidiums like and need
the cool dips in temperature. This is my first year of indoor /outdoor
growing- the summer of using a garden hose was a nice break!

Old 02-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Steve

dd wrote:

.............. One night, we had an overnight temperature of 52 degrees. This seems
too cold to me, and seems like a clue to bring in the orchids real
soon.....................................

I've been putting most of my plants out in the summer for over 20 years.
Here, we get nights in the low 50s even in mid July. Right now all my
plants are still out even though we have hit the mid 40s once or twice.
I'm thinking I had better watch the weather and start the process of
bringing them all in. I learned long ago that I don't dare leave Phals
out like I do the others and I keep most of my Paphs inside as well.
The point is, a few nights down to 50 isn't a problem for most.

..................................I read (somewhere)
that one shouldn't dose an orchid with both a pesticide and fungicide
at the same time. Ok, if I want to use both treatments, how long should
I wait between the two treatments? Until one dries? A day? A week?

I'll refrain from giving advice on the pitted leaves until I see if I
can cure my Phals.
If you have Funginex, consider getting some Orthene. We know they are
safe together because Ortho sells Orthonex which is a combination of the
two products. I also know from experience that Orthene is effective on
scales.

Steve ... in the Adirondacks where I REALLY need to get the basement
grow areas ready.

Old 03-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Diane Mancino

I'll take your queue to bring them in, Steve, since we are at the same
latitude. Next year I will leave the small phals inside- although protected
near the house, I lost a few seedlings most likely from too much moisture
with the cool climate. We still should see some more 70's as highs, but it
will be a daily watch.

Diane

"Steve" wrote in message
t...

Old 05-09-2003, 05:12 PM
dd

Thanks to all who responded. My orchids, with the exception of the
oncidium, are still outside and doing well. I've bathed them with
alcohol and followed up with Physan 20, then a day later repeated with
a miticide and other day later with Funginex. The plants seem happier
for the experience.

Old 06-09-2003, 04:22 AM
Steve

I brought in the first 35 or 40 plants today.
Today was a mostly cloudy cool day. It finally made it up to 60 late in
the afternoon. The next 2 days should get into the mid 70s, so that's
better.
I'll bring in more plants Tomorrow, Sunday, or both. It's nice to bring
them in a few dozen at a time and take the time to clean off the
assorted spider webs, pine needles, and what ever. That's much better
than waiting until there is a panic to get them all in or else. Been
there, done that.

Steve

Old 08-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Diane Mancino

I'm going to start cleaning up my plants this morning and bring them in= all
but the cymbidiums and oncidiums. Seems like we have a few good nights left
and sunny days.

DD where are you located in New England? Annual OS picnic is this Thursday
with a large raffle scheduled.I know the hostess wants to thin out her
collection...I'll probably have more questions on what ever I pick up that
night. Now what to bring to the picnic....

Diane

Old 08-09-2003, 09:06 PM
dd

I'm in the Greater Boston area and am with Mass Orchid Society. We're
having our auction tomorrow, Tuesday, night. This is a terrific event
with a LOT of bargains on excellent plants. If you're in the 'hood,
it's worth checking out. If you're interested, let me know and I'll
email you the particulars.

P.S. Picnic? Antipasta pasta salad-- epicurious web site has some good
recipes

Old 08-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Sounds like a great place to be tomorrow. Just to bad that I would have to
cross the atlantic.
What's an antipasta pasta salad
Just curious
Cheers
Peter

"dd" schreef in bericht

Old 09-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Diane Mancino

Yum pasta salad will work. Have you notice that this is one crowd that looks
at the plants before thinking of what's on the refreshment table? Seems that
way anyway.

I was in Boston last week- I'm 2 hrs from you. I'd take you up on the
auction, but bringing my orchids in is reminding me that I acquired about 10
plants over the summer that I will now need to fit into the window
garden..yes, I'm eyeing some naked windows, but maybe this autumn chore will
help me from getting more this week...fat chance, I always see something I
want.

I'm noticing some dying off of some weaker plants, it isn't a tragedy
anymore- only an opportunity to replace it. Probably the temperature swings,
but if its going to live here it has to be hearty and thrive

Old 09-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Diane Mancino

An American invention, Peter. cut up a antipasta into cold pasta and
marinate with oil and vinegar. tons of recipes online so I won't say more
here.
. be...