Old 10-09-2003, 04:29 AM
Bob

Default Ladyslipper identification

So I was in Nova Scotia this summer walking on a new piece of land I
bought when I spotted all these wild orchids. I am a Cattleya guy so I
don't know anything about orchids like these. The natives just call
them ladyslippers but I would like to know what species they are -
anybody know? You can see the pic at
www.cattleya.us/images/orchid4c.jpg. My apologies for the poor quality
pic but the mosquitos were eating me alive.

thanks,
Bob
Old 10-09-2003, 05:08 AM
Aaron Hicks

That's Cypripedium acaule ya got there.

How long ago was that picture taken? I remember them flowering in
April in Pennsylvania.

Do not send e-mail to the address in the header. It's just a spam
trap.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 10-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Steve

Cypripedium acaule, as Aaron already reported.
The ones on your property are nice and pink. I have seen them along the
French River in Ontario where they are a vivid rose color.
The ones we have here are extremely pale pink. I've often wondered if
the difference is genetic or environmental. I assume genetic. The web
site below has a few pictures of the ones I find in this area:
http://www.geocities.com/tlswilso/Panther_Mountain.html
Note that they bloom here in late June.

Steve in the Adirondacks of northern NY

Old 10-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Bob

These were in bloom in early July in Nova Scotia and many of them were
starting to fade then. I must say it was really exciting to find these
- the last thing I expected to find in the woods of Nova Scotia was
orchids, so the surprise was a real treat and even to my 'cyp
untrained eye' these really jumped out. If I get back up there next
year I will try to get some better pics. There really is an amazing
difference between the color of these and the the ones in the pictures
from Panther Mountain. Thanks to you Steve and to Aaron for the
indentification and additional information.

Bob Davidson

Old 15-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Mattias Baecklund

orchids exist on every continent except polar regions

Mattias Baecklund

"Bob" skrev i meddelandet
om...
These were in bloom in early July in Nova Scotia and many of them were
starting to fade then. I must say it was really exciting to find these
- the last thing I expected to find in the woods of Nova Scotia was
orchids, so the surprise was a real treat and even to my 'cyp
untrained eye' these really jumped out. If I get back up there next
year I will try to get some better pics. There really is an amazing
difference between the color of these and the the ones in the pictures
from Panther Mountain. Thanks to you Steve and to Aaron for the
indentification and additional information.

Bob Davidson

et...

Bob wrote:

So I was in Nova Scotia this summer walking on a new piece of land I
bought when I spotted all these wild orchids. I am a Cattleya guy so I
don't know anything about orchids like these. The natives just call
them ladyslippers but I would like to know what species they are -
anybody know? You can see the pic at
www.cattleya.us/images/orchid4c.jpg. My apologies for the poor quality
pic but the mosquitos were eating me alive.

thanks,
Bob

Ladyslipper...uh...orchids desktop wallpaper Al Orchids 0 06-01-2005 05:45 PM
Ladyslipper identification Bob Orchids 0 10-09-2003 04:27 AM
Another Plant identification Paul Plant Biology 5 28-03-2003 03:44 PM
Ladyslipper Sue & Bob Hobden United Kingdom 7 06-02-2003 04:41 PM
Ladyslipper Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 06-02-2003 01:35 AM