Old 19-09-2003, 04:02 PM
K Barrett

Default RIP Marg Baker

Charlie Baker announced on the Orchid Guide Digest that his wife Marg passed
away 9/15 from what he called a particularly nasty form of cancer.

Marg was one smart cookie. I'm just happy I got to tell her once she was one
of my heroes.

Incase you are new to orchids and don't know who the Bakers are, they have
written several books about orchids habitat, mostly gained by studying
weather station information.

K Barrett

Old 20-09-2003, 12:08 AM
K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Charlie Baker announced on the Orchid Guide Digest that his wife Marg

passed
away 9/15 from what he called a particularly nasty form of cancer.

Marg was one smart cookie. I'm just happy I got to tell her once she was

one
of my heroes.

Incase you are new to orchids and don't know who the Bakers are, they have
written several books about orchids habitat, mostly gained by studying
weather station information.

K Barrett

I considered not posting this, but decided that Marg
Baker(http://www.orchidculture.com/) wanted people to know about a simple
way to prevent what happened to her from happening to those you love. (See
Below)

If you do not have a mother, sister, wife or daughter please scroll past.

K Barrett
____________ From Charles Baker: _____________-

Thank you for your note of sympathy.

I promised Marg before she died that I would write the following and get it
out to as many peope as possible. I have had it checked by the surgeon's
nurse, so it is medically accurate. Please pass it on to anyone you think it
might help sometime down the road.

For those who do not already know, Iım writing this to notify all friends,
relatives, and the people with whom my wife, Margaret Baker, has known or
corresponded and traded thoughts and ideas with over the years, or even
might have known in the future, that she recently passed away after a fairly
short but hard battle with Endometrial cancer. This is a little-discussed,
only slightly researched cancer that we found to be a particularly nasty
form in this nasty family of diseases.

Before she died, she asked me to notify all her friends and people she has
worked with about this cancer. She wanted me to inform them about the things
we learned a little too late to help her, but we hope they might help others
to protect themselves somewhat in the future.

Endometial cancer is especially nasty because none of the normal GYN exams
that women routinely get do much if anything to detect it. Consequently, it
has usually progressed to stage 3 or 4 before it is discovered. We have been
told that it is the fourth leading killer of women in the country, probably
because it is normally detected so late. A Pap smear she had taken a short
time before the diagnosis failed to indicate any problem, as did an ultra
sound taken after she had felt a lump in her abdomen. A follow-up CAT scan
did indicate a slight problem on one ovary, and this was all that was shown
by the normally used methods for what was revealed by surgery to be a tumor
so large that it filled her entire pelvic area, with numerous smaller tumors
scattered around the abdominal area and a 3 lb. tumor on the omentum across
the upper abdomen.

Our first indication of the real problem came after the ovary problem
revealed by the CAT scan drove us to search out a gynocological oncologist
to go in and take care of this slight problem on the ovary. He did a CA125
test and took an endometiral biopsy. Neither took more than a few minutes
and was no more painful or intrusive than a normal Pap smear. They did,
however, reveal cancer cells in the uterus and would probably have given an
early warning if administered when she had gone in for her normal GYN exam a
few months prior. She informed our family doctor that she will come back and
haunt him if he ever again settles for only a Pap smear and does not go the
short extra step to give those two tests which, although normally not given,
at least provide a chance for an earlier detection in this nasty,
fast-growing killer.

I hope that this summary of what she discovered about the disease will help
somone out there so that they do not have to go through what she has
experienced during the past seven months. Iıve been told that these tests
are particularly important for any woman who had endometrial problems when
she was younger. So please, donıt hesitate to ask for these tests, or at
least discuss them with your doctor.

Charlie Baker
--
Charles Baker

http://www.orchidculture.com

Old 20-09-2003, 03:19 AM
Shell91

"K Barrett" wrote in message
[...]

I am currently taking care of my mother who is going through chemo for
breast cancer. My mother is one of the fortunate ones who was tested and
had a hysterectomy before the bad cells turned into cancer. I for one
appreciate you posting this.

Shell

Old 20-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Diana Kulaga

Oh, my God, Kathy, if I could only get my sister to listen! She has had
scans that show enlarged ovaries that go back months, and still she
procrastinates, finding every reason under the sun to avoid a biopsy.

Today it's a headache, yesterday it was guuguu (sp?) lipids that woud cure
it all, tomorrow it will be something else. There's been coenzyme this and
blue green algae, and a Chinese doctor who is not licensed in this country
giving her whatever is the flavor of the day.

Don't misunderstand me. I am the greatest believer in healing yourself, and
doing nothing if nothing is warranted. I believe that we can do miracles
with our health. But, I also believe in modern medicine when it is needed.

Okay, I've vented. Probably not the venue for it.

Diana

Old 20-09-2003, 06:12 PM
K Barrett

Makes you wish you could bonk her on the head, stuff her in the trunk of
your car and dump her off at the Dr's office, don't it? Medical care ala
Tony Soprano.

Sounds like time for an intervention. (None of my business and not the venue
for it. But I see this all the time. No sense waiting till it *is* too late.
Charlie's point was also be persistent with your Drs too.)

Kath

news