Old 23-09-2003, 07:42 PM
keith

Default were is peter

Old 23-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

I'm here but drowning in incoming viruses on my old adress. Sent you a
message just 5 minutes ago
Write to the message small.
Cheers
Peter

"keith" schreef in bericht

Old 23-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Ted Byers

"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." wrote in message
.be...
I'm here but drowning in incoming viruses on my old adress. Sent you a

I have received over 5000 of these things since Thursday. Close to 500 came
in just this morning. Late last week, I had worked with my ISP support
office to reconfigure how their anti-spam works with my account. All seemed
OK for a short while, but then the flood renewed. I checked just before
lunch and the anti-spam service had been turned off on my account, so I
turned it back on. In the past three hours, I have received maybe half a
dozen spam messages, yet at the rate they were coming this morning, I would
have had another 500, give or take a few dozen, in that time.

My point is, my ISP provides antispam services free of charge, but it has to
be activated by the user! Your ISP may do so too. You may want to check
with your ISP to see if they do offer antispam services. Maybe, if they
have the sense to offer free antispam services (for the sake of efficient
use of their mail server and bandwidth), you may be able to preserve the
original functionality of your old email address. And if they do, make sure
it is active on your account, and then recheck it once in a while to make
sure it remains active. After all, one of the things viruses and worms try
to do these days is knock down security software. If they have a chance to
start on a machine, the first thing they'll try to do is shut down any
security software, such as fire walls, virus scanners, spam control
intrusion detection services, &c.

HTH,

Ted

Old 23-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

I thaught so too, but I have a free dialup internetlink. The other options
are twice as ecspensive as just paying for the phone costs. Because it's a
free service they do not offer any other service than 4mb of space at my
server. So as the virus files come in and wait the space fills up and the
oldest are deleted once the space is full. Now I have found a way to start
OE without downloading my messages on the infected e-mail adres.
I can send messages and my pc is virus free, using 3 different virus
scanners I have been keeping it clean. a firewall doesn't work because the
files will build up on the servers space and still delete all other
messages. The firewall only keeps them off my PC.
I wrote my provider and server, Belgacom, They told me that it was normal
that people, who are to cheap to pay for kabel and wish to use normal dial
up connections, to have problems like this. Their advice was, to order a
kabel connection and they would then give me a connection with the same
e-mail adress.
I realy realy want to *+-/ç(è'")")( one of the people doing this virus BS.
Cheers
Peter

"Ted Byers" schreef in bericht
.. .

Old 24-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Karen

Ted Byers wrote:
[...]

Ted, I thought I was bad with 600 or so (total), but now I feel really
sorry for you.
Karen

Old 24-09-2003, 04:04 AM
Ted Byers

"Karen" wrote in message

Ted, I thought I was bad with 600 or so (total), but now I feel really
sorry for you.
Karen

Hmm, my baby sister's name is Karen. Not that that observation means
anything. ;-)

Thanks Karen, but now there is no need to feel sorry for me, because from
noon until now, just after 9PM, I have had a total of a baker's dozen email
messages containing SPAM. That stands in marked contrast to getting close
to 500 this morning alone! It appears that the ISP's antispam service is
working. I am not surprised since this level of spam has to be quite costly
for ISPs in terms of mail server maintenance and wasted bandwidth, so I'd
expect most ISPs would be happy to provide a 'free' antispam service because
of the financial benefits they'd see in better use of their resources.

BTW: was your domain name shown above created for politicians? It seems to
be quite fitting for the fellows who debated on TV this evening leading up
to the provincial election here in Ontario. I don't think I have had the
misfortune to encounter such a contemptable lot before.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 25-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Karen

Ted Byers wrote:
"Karen" wrote in message

[...]

no, it just summarizes how I feel sometimes (mindless...brainless) after
a day of work. I just have to poke fun at myself sometime.

It is a real isp (without the invalid)
Karen