Old 03-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Peter Ashby

Default ID help, Camria?

Hi folks,
I have an orchid which the label identifies simply as Cambria. However I
can find no culture information on it. It has pseudobulbs and long, not
very fleshy leaves. It had a spray of small Oncidium type flowers. It is
potted in a 5" pot in bark. Currently it has two mature pseudobulbs in
good turgor and two back bulbs which haven't fleshed out yet.

I suppose my question is, When those backbulbs mature can I treat it as
per Oncidium culture for division? I have two baby Oncidiums so the
practice will come in useful for them at a later date.

Any advice appreciated.

Peter
Old 03-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Steve

Peter,
It is my understanding that the term Cambria had become slang for any
complex Odontoglossum type cross. This is mainly used in Europe. I guess
it came from the decades old cross named Vuyl. Cambria. This cross was
so popular that the name Cambria started being used for other similar
crosses. The clone 'plush' won several awards.
Vuylstekeara is a mix of Odontoglossum, Miltonia, and Cochlioda.
Your Cambria may be a Vuylstekeara or it may be some other hybrid genus.
You can probably grow it just like an Oncidium but it might prefer
slightly cooler temperatures.

Steve

Old 03-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Peter Ashby

Steve wrote:

It is my understanding that the term Cambria had become slang for any
complex Odontoglossum type cross. This is mainly used in Europe. I guess
it came from the decades old cross named Vuyl. Cambria. This cross was
so popular that the name Cambria started being used for other similar
crosses. The clone 'plush' won several awards.
Vuylstekeara is a mix of Odontoglossum, Miltonia, and Cochlioda.
Your Cambria may be a Vuylstekeara or it may be some other hybrid genus.
You can probably grow it just like an Oncidium but it might prefer
slightly cooler temperatures.

Thanks Steve. I first thought of this question some time ago and back
then I could find nothing on the web. I was looking closely at the plant
today and thought I would have to split it some time in the future so I
posted without doing another search. Of course on consulting google this
time, after posting, I turned up the Vuylstekeara link. My plant does
look very like the picture at http://tinyurl.com/plea so it may be a
Vuyl hybrid.

I'll split it as an Oncidium and keep my fingers crossed.

Peter

Old 03-10-2003, 09:03 PM
David Cameron

Undoubtedly this is Vuylstekeara Cambria....probably clonal "Plush". A very
old and very reliable hybrid.

Dave

k...

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM