Old 12-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Simone Grewatsch

Default Dendrobium compactum

Hello,

since about one year I have a Dendrobium Compactum, but so far I haven't
managed to get the plant to bloom. Can anyone give me any advice on how
to achieve this? Are there any special things I have to keep an eye on?

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance

--
To reply to this posting directly you have to
remove the NOSPAM part from the email address

Old 13-10-2003, 05:22 AM
K Barrett

This is one of the dendrobiums that usually make up the phalaenopsis type of
dendrobiums. If it isn't blooming for you try increasing the amount of
light it gets. Fertilize it at 1/2 strength, keep it at the same
temperatures that you are comfortable with, but make sure it gets a
day/night temperature difference of at least 10 degrees F, and keep it pot
bound. That's my 2 cents worth. (How much is that in Euros?)

K Barrett

Old 13-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Reka

"K Barrett" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. net...
This is one of the dendrobiums that usually make up the phalaenopsis type

of
dendrobiums. If it isn't blooming for you try increasing the amount of
light it gets. Fertilize it at 1/2 strength, keep it at the same
temperatures that you are comfortable with, but make sure it gets a
day/night temperature difference of at least 10 degrees F, and keep it pot
bound. That's my 2 cents worth. (How much is that in Euros?)

About 1.7 cents if you mean American, 1.3 if Canadian cents. You see, your
information isn't worth so much over here! ;-Þ
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 13-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Kye

But here in aus she is worth nearly 4 cents... We really value her input on
this side of the monarchy :-P

Kye.

Old 13-10-2003, 04:22 PM
K Barrett

Thank you Kye!

"Reka" wrote in message
[...]

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the

subject."
--Winston Churchill

---

Old 13-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Simone Grewatsch

Thank you very much for your advice. I will try to get a difference
between day and night temperature.

That's my 2 cents worth. (How much is that in Euros?)

What do you mean ??

Simone

Old 23-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Giulio Farinelli

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. net

This is one of the dendrobiums that usually make up the phalaenopsis type
of dendrobiums. If it isn't blooming for you try increasing the amount

Well, as far as i know there are two dendrobiums called 'compactum'.

One is the D. bigibbum var. compactum Lindley (called also D. lithocola)
with big (for the size) rose/lavender flowers, clearly of the D.
phalaenopsis group, currently sold everywhere under the wrong name D.
compactum.

The other is Dendrobium compactum Rolfe, section Stachyobium, from
indocina, with little greenish flowers, that have ovoid pseudobulbs not
more then 5-6 cm. I think is much more rarer in culture.
Here the description:
64. Dendrobium compactum Rolfe ex W. Hackett, Gard. Chron. ser. 3, 36:
400. 1904.
Plants short.
Stems golden yellow from previous year, cylindrical, +/- fusiform,
1.5--3 cm, fleshy, with leaf sheaths 4--5 mm in diam., with 3--6 nodes,
current ones enclosed in leaf sheaths.
Leaves 2--5 in two rows, alternate, proximal ones smaller than distal
ones, oblong, 1--2.5 X 4--6 cm or broader, herbaceous, base dilated into
sheaths, apex obtuse and unequally 2-lobed; leaf sheath loosely
clasping, obliquely dram-shaped[??], papery, sheath mouth obliquely
truncate.
Racemes 1--5, erect, arising terminally or laterally on distal part of
current year's stem, not exceeding leaves, usually 1--2 cm, with 3--6
small flowers; floral bracts ovate-lanceolate, 2--3 X ca. 1 mm,
1-veined, apex acute.
Pedicel and ovary ca. 4 mm. Flowers spreading.
Abaxial sepal ovate-oblong, ca. 4 X 1.8 mm, 3-veined, apex acute;
lateral sepals obliquely triangular-lanceolate, ca. 4 mm, 3- or
4-veined, base oblique, to 3.5 mm wide, apex acute; mentum conical.
Petals white, suborbicular, ca. 4 X 1.7 mm, margin slightly undulate,
apex acute.
Labellum pale green, suborbicular, ca. 5 X 4 mm, inconspicuously
3-lobed; lateral lobes suborbicular, margin finely toothed above middle;
midlobe broadly ovate-triangular, apex mucronate, margin cristate
corrugate; disc of labellum with fleshy ridges combined by 2 or 3
lamella, apex slightly narrowed; column ca. 2 mm, upper part enlarged;
operculum shortly conical, front margin slightly notched.
Capsule ovoid, ca. 5 mm in diam., with 3 ribs. Fl. Sep-Oct, fr.??

Tree trunks in broad-leaved forests; 1600--1900 m. S to SW Yunnan
[Myanmar, Thailand].