Old 03-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Susan Erickson

Default totally wacko idea.

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:06:46 GMT, "Bacchae"
wrote:
With all due respect, if people were constrained to only
growing plants that grow "naturally", there'd be no orchids in
my house at all. As it is I have an extremely modest
collection but most are happy and blooming for me. They may
not be producing substantial numbers of blooms but I still
enjoy them.

I am a windowsill grower in Canada and we just went through a
bout of -20 where the cold coming off the windows was daunting.
I also have absurdly low humidity in my house. I admit that
there are some plants I dare not try, mostly because I don't
want to accidentally slop water about more than absolutely
necessary, but I think I am doing pretty good for a newbie
hobbyist with horrid conditions.

If there is one thing I have learned about orchids, they are
amazingly tough plants and seem to be able to handle far more
abuse than most would give them credit for.

- Sandy

You are so right Sandy. I grow orchids because I can not grow
"easy" house plants. My ivy is dead and so is the Philo. But
the orchids love the forgetfulness of my style.
SuE
Old 03-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Ray

Actually, my take is "buy plants for which you can easily provide the right
conditions."

I had a friend in Louisville KY who insisted on buying plants grown north of
there, as his conditions were better than those farther north, but worse
than those farther south, making the transfer an improvement for the
"northerners."

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Bacchae" wrote in message
"Bolero" wrote in message ...

I think it could work..........but.......

I really believe that it is always better to buy plants that

are close to
your natural environmental conditions.

Ha.

HaHaHa.

Old 04-12-2003, 02:12 AM
GrlIntrpted

"Bolero" wrote in message ...

I think it could work..........but.......

I really believe that it is always better to buy plants that

are close to
your natural environmental conditions.

If there is one thing I have learned about orchids, they are
amazingly tough plants and seem to be able to handle far more
abuse than most would give them credit for.

I second that. I'm extremely neglectful of my orchids. If I ever treated
my children this way, surely they'd be taken away into foster care g.
They are under-nourished, they are often underwatered as well. I grow
orchids that I was told by the sellers not to buy as they are going to have
a rough time growing in my environment, and because of my stubbornness, I am
able to enjoy orchids that had I listened to the advice of the seller, I'd
never see live .

Orchids are forgiving, more so than any other plants that I ever grew. I am
not able to grow African Violets, and many of the Begonia I lost too, I have
a lemon plant that is slowly dying, and a balding polka dot plant...and
purple passion that is just insisting on committing suicide every time that
I buy that darn thing. But orchids, they just keep ticking.....

Mariana

Old 04-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Shell

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
t...

"Bolero" wrote in message ...

[...]

I know the feeling In between taking care of two older parents, one of
whom is handicaped and has been very ill, and a spoiled little dog, the
housework, and shopping my orchids just keep chugging along despite being
neglected. So do my cactus and succulents, all of which live on the same
table. I have taken to keeping a spray bottle full of plain water on the
table and giving everything a little misting when I happen to walk by there.

Forget growing the usual houseplants I've lost a purple passion plant,
several sunflowers and morning glories that were potted, one bougainvillea,
and I thought I was going o loose my miniature roses but it looks like they
will pull through. So far. I've only lost one orchid and one small
succulent since I put everything togethr on what my family calls the "plant
table" I think that's pretty good for a newbie

Shell