Old 02-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Canberra Australia
Default Paph PEOY

G’day

I bought a large seedling of Paph Prince Edward of York and was wondering if anyone would like to guesstimate how long it would/should take to flower. I have attached a photo of the plant. The largest leaf is about 36 cm (14 inches). When I first saw it I thought it may not take that long as it is bigger than some of my mature roths hybrids (ST Swithin, Susan Booth), but I’ve seen some photos of PEOY and some of them are just monsters. If these photos are any gauge, I could be still many years away from flowering.

Also the label on the plant is rothschildianum ‘Nan’ x sanderianum ‘In – charm’. Does this mean sanderianum is the pod plant (or is it vice versa). Is it important which species is used as the pod plant or does it make no difference at all? I was thinking in terms of issues such as flower size and petal length. I'm interested in this topic in relation to multifloral Paphs in general.

Cheers

Judgey
Old 04-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Ray C.

Judgey wrote in message ws.com...
[...]

Hi Judgey,

From the cross you listed, the roth is the pod parent. From all the
reading I've done, some plants are better at being a pod parent
(produce more seed). There are a few instances I've read where the pod
parent imparts more of it's own characteristics on the progeny than
the pollen parent. I have a few seedlings of PEOY that I'm going to
have to wait a great many years to bloom, currently only 4" across. As
to how long before your plant blooms, all the PEOY that I've seen in
bloom were HUGE multigrowth plants. Good growing.
Ray

Paph. Psyche x Paph Macabre Diana Kulaga[_5_] Orchid Photos 2 20-05-2008 09:27 PM
Paph Margaret Crandall(Paph Vanguard 'Knob Creek' X moquetteanum) v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 23-04-2008 11:32 PM
Paph kolopakingii x Paph praestans Gene Schurg Orchids 4 12-05-2005 02:24 PM
Paph. Bellatulum molli Orchids 2 07-02-2003 02:25 AM
Paph problems Jbkkhawk Orchids 28 30-01-2003 11:49 PM