Old 28-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Jbkkhawk

Default Paph problems

Hello all, again. My Paphs--sukhakulii, gratrixianum, Magic Lantern, and a few
others just don't seem to be doing well. The leaves, especially the older
ones, are pale, yellowish and waxy, and they don't seem to be growing at all.
My growing conditions: in my bedroom, days 65-70F, nights 52-55F, about 30-40%
relative humidity, some ambient light and about 12-15inches under 4ft.
flourescent lights. I try to keep them moist and feed with weak paph
fertilizer supplemented with calcium and magnesium. I use RO water the rest of
the time. Is it just too cold for them or what? Too much light? I do have a
mini phal that is in spike, but has sort of reddish tinge to the outer edges of
the leaves and is not a strong looking plant...Thanks for any feedback. Other
genera are doing okay. Cattleya skinneri is in full bloom!
Karl
Old 28-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Rob Halgren

Jbkkhawk wrote:

Hello all, again. My Paphs--sukhakulii, gratrixianum, Magic Lantern, and a few
others just don't seem to be doing well. The leaves, especially the older
ones, are pale, yellowish and waxy, and they don't seem to be growing at all.
My growing conditions: in my bedroom, days 65-70F, nights 52-55F, about 30-40%
relative humidity, some ambient light and about 12-15inches under 4ft.
flourescent lights. I try to keep them moist and feed with weak paph
fertilizer supplemented with calcium and magnesium. I use RO water the rest of
the time. Is it just too cold for them or what? Too much light? I do have a
mini phal that is in spike, but has sort of reddish tinge to the outer edges of
the leaves and is not a strong looking plant...Thanks for any feedback. Other
genera are doing okay. Cattleya skinneri is in full bloom!
Karl

Repot. Wait no longer. Sounds like the roots are less than optimally
healthy. Paphs respond very well to repotting.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 28-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Al

"When in doubt: repot"

That should be somewhere on your list of rules.

Old 28-01-2003, 07:35 PM

After repotting, I might also suggest moving them right up under the
lights, and trying to get the daytime temp up 5deg or so. Perhaps
enclosing the growing area would increase the daytemp (because of the
lights) and make it easier to raise the humidity as well.

Old 28-01-2003, 08:25 PM
Mark Prout

All these suggestions are sound. Check www.ladyslipper.com. Antec has lots
of good cultural articles. If you're going to keep them that cool, you might
let them dry out a bit more before watering.

Old 28-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

In addition to the great suggestions already mentioned, I'd suggest
modifying the feeding/watering regimen a bit: using straight RO water can
lead to really extreme pH levels, which can affect the availability of
nutrients to the plants.

Personally, I feed a weak solution of known TDS and pH at every watering.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 29-01-2003, 02:37 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

I have an RO water / pH question - I'm watering w/ "distilled" water from
the dehumidifier that keeps the rest of the house safe from the humidity
that leaks out from my loosely enclosed table. I've noticed some root tip
burn and some chlorosis (I'm sure that's spelled wrong - lack of green in
new leaves) which I know can be caused by a multitude of issues from too
much light to not enough iron but I thot it might be pH related so I went
out and bought an aquariam pH test kit. The water before fert reads just
about neutral (7). after adding fert, pro-tekit, superthrive it's a bit
basic, maybe 7.2 or 7.3 which I don't think should be an issue... but could
something else be going on in the pot? How / should / could I check it?
The other interesting thing is that the dissolved salts in the "distilled"
water reads more than the water straight out of the tap - 40 ppm vs 33 ppm
here in Seattle.

Old 29-01-2003, 06:18 AM
Susan Erickson

the dehumidifier that ----------------clipped -----------------------------
The other interesting thing is that the dissolved salts in the "distilled"
water reads more than the water straight out of the tap - 40 ppm vs 33 ppm
here in Seattle.

So, Why are you using RO water? And DEHUMIDIFIER water is NOT
RO. It is, in my experience, not very clean or chemical safe
water. What metals are in the pipes in your dehumidifier?

What is in Seattle's water you are trying to escape?
What is in the new water?

SuE
Old 29-01-2003, 06:20 AM
Clare Sleeter

What is in the Seattle water that you are trying to escape? I ask the same. The
water up here is so wondxerful compared to Southern CA.

wrote:

I have an RO water / pH question - I'm watering w/ "distilled" water from
the dehumidifier that ----------------clipped -----------------------------
The other interesting thing is that the dissolved salts in the "distilled"
water reads more than the water straight out of the tap - 40 ppm vs 33 ppm
here in Seattle.

So, Why are you using RO water? And DEHUMIDIFIER water is NOT
RO. It is, in my experience, not very clean or chemical safe
water. What metals are in the pipes in your dehumidifier?

What is in Seattle's water you are trying to escape?
What is in the new water?

SuE

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/

Old 29-01-2003, 06:49 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Not really trying to escape anything except chlorine. It's more that the
dehumidifier is "making" water so I might as well use it. I remember when I
was a kid, my mother would use it in her iron thinking it was essentially
distilled or pure water. I figured the same but was suprised when it read
higher on the TDS meter than the tap water. And yes, we're blessed here in
Seattle with great water! In the greenhouse, I simply use a hozon thingy to
add fert to the tap water.

Old 29-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

This is pure speculation, but as you're condensing water vapor from ambient
air, aren't you possibly getting some of the other airborne species along
with it?

Old 29-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:49:04 GMT, "Jerry Hoffmeister"
wrote:

Not really trying to escape anything except chlorine. It's more that the
dehumidifier is "making" water so I might as well use it. I remember when I
was a kid, my mother would use it in her iron thinking it was essentially
distilled or pure water.

And the companies that make irons regularly put out statements -
DO NOT USE - it is full of stuff that clogs irons. So there is
not a lot of mineral in it, there are enough mold or fungus
spores to be much more dangerous.
SuE
Old 29-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Wendy

Hi Karl, From what you describe, sounds just like some of mine! I found
Mealies down at the base of the plants!!!
Also, what potting media did you use? I used some Coco Husk Chips, didn't
know that the stuff needs to be soaked & the leaves were light & turning
brown fast!
Cheers Wendy

Old 29-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Mark Prout

We have pretty basic water here in KC. Nearly pH 9. No problem with salts if
I flush well when watering. I used bottled distilled for my brachys though.
For all else, I just lower the pH of the tap water with apple cider vinegar,
a natural acid with some bonus micronutrients as well. The phals love it.

Old 29-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Thanks (Ray too). I will cease and desist. Watered this AM with tap water
after dumping about 10 gallons of that other stuff. Now I'm wondering if I
should repot everything? I think I won't...