Old 06-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Roy

Default Watering orchid flower

Is it true that you should water the leafs, stem, roots, but not the
flowers of orchid plants, because watering the flowers will shorten
the life span of the flowers?
Old 06-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Ray

Actually, while some plants may gain some benefit from foliar feeding, it is
wise to only the root system, as watering the leaves provides a way to give
bacterial and fungi a damp home for crown rot, if pockets of water remain
for extended periods.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 06-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Kenni Judd

Getting the flowers wet can shorten their lives. Among other things, it
seems to attract botrytis, a fungus which marks up the flowers with little
black spots. The problem is worse in an enclosed area than in an open airy
one.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
om...

Old 06-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Aaron Hicks

Ray, I've also casually wondered if fertilizer and its components
used as foliar fertilizer might also compound problems with crown rot and
leaf rot under certain circumstances. I have absolutely no proof of this,
but fungal and bacterial growth can be encouraged by the presence of
mineral nutrients. Clearly, just the presence of spores isn't enough for a
plant to become infected- pathogens are all around our plants. The correct
conditions can cause the spores to germinate, find a weak spot, and infect
a plant. Perhaps fertilizers might be a modest contributor to these
problems under less-than-ideal cultural circumstances.

Anyway- I've noticed that I sometimes get a case or two of rot a
few days after fertilizing with urea-based fertilizer. Of course, I
sometimes get a case or two of rot WITHOUT having fertilized a few days
before. But as I think anyone who has ever seen a dilute solution of urea
that has stood around long enough (i.e., an unflushed toilet) will attest,
it sure does grow quite a stink. Could similar solutions applied to plants
cause similar proliferation of organisms?

Most of this is just thinking out loud. I know that in many cases,
pathogens are very different from saprophytes and decomposers. But I also
wonder if anyone has looked into whether the growth of some bacterial and
fungal pathogens is enhanced in the presence of fertilizers. Hmm.

Since I started thinking about this, I've tried to deliver water
and fertilizer only to the roots of my plants. The sample number is pretty
small, but the results are very good.

Do not reply to the e-mail address in the header. Spam trap.
Sorry about that.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 06-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Ray

Aaron,

An interesting commentary, but I was merely referring to the puddling of
water in leaf axils and crowns...