Old 06-11-2003, 11:12 PM
House of Paisley

Default What is in a name anyway

Why do I do this? Because the bulbs looked really neat..
but now I don't know what it is....

Tag reads: Onc. catornes 'open slope' chachapoyas

This comes from a grower who doesn't remember anything
about it, but has had it for a very long time. Any hope?

Thanks in advance

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm

Old 07-11-2003, 04:12 AM
Myrmecodia

"House of Paisley" wrote in message news:puAqb.133700$e01.445802@attbi_s02...
Tag reads: Onc. catornes 'open slope' chachapoyas

IPNI does not list an Oncidium catornes, and I don't see any species
epithet for which "catornes" is a plausible misspelling. However,
there is an Oncidium xanthornis, which might sound a little like
"catornes." Onc. xanthornis (also known as Cyrtochilum xanthornis) is
from Peru and Ecuador.

Chachapoyas is the capital of Amazonas in Peru. The clonal name 'open
slope' may be descriptive. Perhaps you have an Oncidium xanthornis
that was collected on an open slope in the vicinity of Chachapoyas.

When it blooms, you may want to send a flower to the Orchid
Identification Center at Selby.

Nick
--
Myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com
Old 07-11-2003, 05:42 PM
House of Paisley

Oh crimeny. Are there any Onc.'s on the red list? There
are a lot of buzzwords in there that make me nervous. It is
a reputable grower, but has a bunch of stuff that has just
been languishing for years and years. Normally I find very
obscure stuff that has fallen from popularity, and she is
getting at the age where she doesn't remember much
about these plants. Since they don't do species anymore,
I have been slowly weeding her out of those things that have
just been in a huge orchid ball. She thought this may have
come from a raffle table many years ago, and doesn't
remember ever getting it to bloom. I think I will put it in the
cold room with Dend. Kingianum and see if I can force
something out of it.

Thank you so much for your help. I kind of felt it came
from the region you described. I found something that
might have been excavatum syn. cajamarco. But I did get
another plant from her listed as something close to
cajamarco, and the bulbs are vastly different. Oh well.

Thanks again.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
om...

Old 07-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Myrmecodia

"House of Paisley" wrote in message news:gOQqb.139078$Fm2.116031@attbi_s04...
Oh crimeny. Are there any Onc.'s on the red list? There
are a lot of buzzwords in there that make me nervous.

You mean the IUCN red list of endangered species? Not as far as I
know.

IPNI is the International Plant Names Index (http://www.ipni.org/ ).
I find it to be a very useful database.

But I did get
another plant from her listed as something close to
cajamarco, and the bulbs are vastly different. Oh well.

So, what do the pseudobulbs and leaves of this "Onc. catornes" look
like?

Regards,

Nick
--