Old 29-05-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.ponds
scs0

Default UV clarifier lights, but stopped working anyway

I have a 40 watt UV clarifier hooked up to one of the gravity-fed
outflows from my filter. The pond is approximately 4000 gallons. For
the first month of owning the thing the device gradually made the pond
clearer and clearer, then last weekend it got so clear that I could see
the bottom of the pond which is at about 4' in depth. I was very happy
with this, and even commented to several people how it was great to own
a product that claims to solve a big problem and it actually works. I
work with computer software so I've grown very skeptical of promises
since in the computer world things fail far more often than they work,
so when this clarifier resulted in water that was this clear I was just
amazed.

Then Murphy's Law kicked in.

In a matter of maybe 3 days the water clouded back up to a point that's
nearly as bad as the days before the clarifier when in. Has anyone
ever heard of something like this happening? I can't imagine alge ever
being able to build a defense to intense UV-C radiation, so I don't
think this is an example of the alge building a resistance to the
light. So what the hell went wrong?

Around the time that the alge returned I cleaned the filter, cleaned
the pump, and put the pump into a new protective housing. Here are
some thing that have happened in that time that somehow may play a part
in this stupidity:

1) During the process of cleaning off the pump and putting it into a
new housing, I forgot to turn off the UV light. Could being on for
about a half hour to 45 minutes without any waterflow cause it to
become damaged? I can see from the clarifier's glowing housing rings
that the light is still on.

2) After cleaning the pump, its output increased dramatically. I had
one of the filter's 4 gravity outflows intentionally disabled, and the
filter began overflowing so I restored that 4th outflow. I thought
that may have resulted in less water flowing through the UV but since
the total amount of water pumped is higher plenty of water should still
be going through the UV. Since the total amount of alge was near nill
anyway, the alge can't reproduce much so reduced waterflow shouldn't
hurt anyway.

3) The temp last week was a few degrees warmer than in previous weeks,
and the sun is getting more direct.

Old 29-05-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Go Fig

What's the make of the UV ? 40 watts can handle a lot of flow generaly.

You sure you are dealing w/ algae... got a microscope... it is easy to
tell if they are living organisms v. silt.

jay
Mon May 29, 2006

Old 30-05-2006, 02:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default UV clarifier lights, but stopped working anyway (Koi lo been midnight bathing again)

Yep, yet another open and shut case of CArol Gulley aka koi-lo
sneaking ntoyur pond and using it as a bath tub. She can polute the
most pristine waters overnight when she washes that stank off her fat
assed body of hers, and if she drags along her bots and sock puppets
it can actually turn the water to a thick slime.......

If you can figure a way of keeping carol gulley aka koi lo out of the
pond yur problems will be solved.