Old 28-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Shell

Default Insecticide and Neem Oil

Is alcohol the safest to use to kill bugs in orchids? My Epi
pseudepidendrum has some kind of weird west texas bug living in the medium.
I plan to re-pot but I don't want any tiny livestock roaming around my
plants.

Also has anyone used Neem Oil? I keep seeing it on various web sites where
they use it like an insecticide and anti slug and snail solution.

Shell

Old 28-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Shell,

Depends on the kind of bug, and how wide the infestation is. For example, if
you are facing hard scale at some point, you'll want to add a little oil and
soap. For a variety of natural cures, go to First Ray's site (I think you
have that).

As far as neem is concerned, I have not used it, though my husband has for
other stuff. For loads of information do a Google Groups search of rgo.
Neem has come up so many times that you're bound to find hundreds of
opinions. With any oil product, though, if the weather is warm to hot, use
early in the day so that the oil can dry before the sun fries it. Of
course, you grow inside, so I guess that's less of a problem.

Diana
.. .

Old 28-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Shell

Well the bug looks like a red colored silverfish, at least what I coud see
of it. Fast little sucker. I wonder what a little sevin dust would do to
the roots of the orchid? I will re-pot outside for sure. Right now the 2
plants I got from this seller are in quarantine

Shell

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
news
Shell,

Depends on the kind of bug, and how wide the infestation is. For example,
if
you are facing hard scale at some point, you'll want to add a little oil

and
soap. For a variety of natural cures, go to First Ray's site (I think you
have that).

As far as neem is concerned, I have not used it, though my husband has for
other stuff. For loads of information do a Google Groups search of rgo.
Neem has come up so many times that you're bound to find hundreds of
opinions. With any oil product, though, if the weather is warm to hot,

use
early in the day so that the oil can dry before the sun fries it. Of
course, you grow inside, so I guess that's less of a problem.

Diana
.. .

Old 28-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Kenni Judd

We have never tried Sevin dust, but have used Liquid Sevin with good results
[for scale and mealies, we've also never had red silverfish -- knock wood].

Alcohol is good for killing bugs on the foliage, but not for infestations
down in the pots.

We rarely use oils, it is usually too hot here.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

"Shell" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

.. .

Old 29-11-2003, 12:18 AM
tbell

Shell - I'd have to agree that you should tailor the drug to the bug,
but for what it's worth, I've found one that is labeled safe for orchids,
hasn't harmed mine yet, and seems very effective for ants: Triazicide, by
Spectracide, bought at my local Ace hardware store.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

Old 29-11-2003, 12:24 AM
Shell

I'll look into it. I plan on wearing rubber gloves and doing everything
outside when I re-pot. Does the Triazicide have a strong smell? If it does
I wont be able to use it

Shell

Old 29-11-2003, 02:32 AM
tbell

My smeller isn't what it once was, but I don't believe it does, compared
with diazinon, which I used until a saw a warning about orchids buried in
the fine print.

Old 29-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Shell

I may try it then. I have to be careful what I use since I have asthma and
fumes set it off.

Shell

Old 29-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Ray

Good quality Neem oil has at least 1400 ppm azadirachtin, so look for that
on the label and do not even consider brands that are "diluted for your
mixing convenience."

It also smells bad - my wife says it's rotten Chinese food. It fades as it
dries, but I am pleased with the odor, knowing that it's protecting my
plants!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 29-11-2003, 04:24 PM
nanook

Yes Neem Oil is good stuff. I have never had to use anything stronger
on my orchids than Neem and Physon.
When orchids are outside they get Neem every couple of weeks, then
near time to come in if there is any sign of bugs I give em a good
spray with insecticidal soap and maybe once more with Neem.
Even some grown plants I bought about a month ago had some scale, I
soaked the new media I was going to re pot them in with Pyhson and a
little Neem before re potting, washed the plants, killed all the
F$%#*ers I could by hand, sprayed the plants with Neem and haven't
seen a scale pop up yet. (they are still quarantined from the
propagation room and other full grown orchids until I am sure they are
ok.
As for the smell and Asthma, I am a suffer as well and it has not
given me any problems. I have inhaled the mist while spraying outside
in the wind. It tastes really really bad but did not make my throat
close up or start a coughing fit.
I start plants on it right out of flask(at a lower concentration than
an adult plant). That seems to keep anything from nibbling on those
baby fresh roots and shoots.
The smell does go away very quickly (yet my wife still complains)
If using outside, spray early so it dries before the sun gets to hot.
also like Ray said do not buy diluted, always get 100% pure.

Old 29-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Shell

Thanks for the help. I think I will try and get some to use, especially
this spring.

Shell

"Ray" wrote in message
Good quality Neem oil has at least 1400 ppm azadirachtin, so look for that
on the label and do not even consider brands that are "diluted for your
mixing convenience."

It also smells bad - my wife says it's rotten Chinese food. It fades as

it
dries, but I am pleased with the odor, knowing that it's protecting my
plants!