Old 18-12-2003, 01:27 AM
Bob Walsh

Default Paph Quiberon Bay

I bought this a few years ago at a close out sale of an Orchid grower here
in the Twin cities.

Waited, sometimes patiently, sometimes not, especially not when a couple
months ago it started a spike (ok inflorescence). Checked it every day as it
poked along.

Finally it's open. Apparently as open as its going to get. I noticed that
the pouch wasn't opening up nice and round like other slippers, I even put
my finger in it to make sure it wasn't stuck. It wasn't.

Tonight I finally decided to bring it up from the light room for display and
finally noticed the pouch, and only the pouch, is UPSIDE DOWN.

Will take pics soon and post to abpo.

I know, it's a first bloom, maybe next year.

Anyone else had one like that?

Bob

Old 18-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Rob Halgren

Finally it's open. Apparently as open as its going to get. I noticed that
the pouch wasn't opening up nice and round like other slippers, I even put
my finger in it to make sure it wasn't stuck. It wasn't.

Tonight I finally decided to bring it up from the light room for display and
finally noticed the pouch, and only the pouch, is UPSIDE DOWN.

Will take pics soon and post to abpo.

Neat... Not seen this before. I've seen two pouches, two
inflorescences from one lead, and a bunch of other oddities... Send me
a picture too, I don't get apbo.

AOS 'Orchids' magazine has a feature for 'odd' flowers. Or at least
they had one in November, and asked for others to contribute their
pictures. Maybe you should send a picture to AOS too.

Paph. Quiberon Bay is Milmoore x Winston Churchill, in case you were
wondering, and there have been 5 or 6 awarded.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 18-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Wendy

Hi Bob, I think maybe it didn't like your finger!!! *g*
Waiting with baited breath to see a photo.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 18-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Bob Walsh

I have the pics but can't post them till this evening most likely.

Looking at the flower again the outside of the pouch is hairy leading me to
think that it is inside out rather than backwards.

Bob

Old 19-12-2003, 05:12 AM
Bob Walsh

Now posted on ABPO.

Mistakenly under the Phrag Sorcerers Apprentice thread and a big file to
boot. If you prefer a smaller file let me know or post on ABPO and I will
get it too you.

I couldn't get the small ones on a news group.

Bob

Old 19-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Al

The lip does indeed look like it is inside out rather than upside down.

This brings to mind another word of interest to orchid collectors:
resupinate
(Botany) (of plant parts) reversed or inverted in position, so as to appear
to be upside down
[ETYMOLOGY: 18th Century: from Latin resupinatus bent back, from resupinare,
from re- + supinare to place on the back; see supine]

Orchids flowers are resupinate. I think this is part of the definition of
what makes a flower an orchid. When they bloom the normal orchid flower is
upside down. When the bud forms on the inflorescence it forms right side
up. The lip structure is modified tissue built from what was once the upper
petal of the inner whorl. As the flower develops and prepares to open it
twists half way around at the base of the ovum so the lip is pointing
downward and it opens in the position we consider to be normal and upside
right. So orchids are resupinate; the upper petal of the inner whorl points
downward when the flower opens and the lower sepal of the outer whorl point
upward. Only a few are non-resupinate.

I wonder if there is a word to describe what the lip of this flower did. I
don't think resupinate covers it. And I recently learned why the word
peloric doesn't really apply here either.

Old 19-12-2003, 04:39 PM
Rob Halgren

Al wrote:

The lip does indeed look like it is inside out rather than upside down.

I agree. I have seen this before, now that I've seen the picture.
It has happened with a few complex paphs in my collection. I don't
think I've ever seen it quite as messed up as this one though. Complex
paphs are by their nature prone to some weirdities. Fertility is
generally low (you don't get much seed from a cross), and the seedlings
have a high percentage of 'dog-itude' (its make up a word day!!). But
good ones are really good. This is why I always try to buy several of
any given cross, if not a whole flask. I'd keep the plant and see if it
blooms properly on the next inflorescence. I'm pretty sure it will. I
like the spots.

[...]

Excellent description! I don't know that I've heard it put so well before. I think technically resupinate refers to the orientation of the flower parts in relation to the ovary. What we orchid growers think of as 'normal' is actually upside down. Like
the Australian map of the world. I don't know that this is part of the definition of an orchid, but then again I'm not a taxonomist nor do I play one on TV. Actually I have a face made for radio. Or the internet.

I always thought 'non-resupinate' is a pretty funny word... Shouldn't that be 'supinate'?