Old 04-01-2004, 07:12 PM
tbell

Default repot help

Just posted a photo on abpo, asking for recommendations about repotting
a reedstem Epi with a densely compacted rootball.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

Old 04-01-2004, 11:12 PM
V_coerulea

Epis are extremely forgiving. I generally soak the rootball for 5-10 min in
Physan solution. The Physan helps in eliminating bacteria, fungus, algae,
and (some evidence) viruses. The roots plump up, pop apart easily as you
press against them and allow you to more easily cut off dead ones and then
repot.
Gary

Old 05-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Kenni Judd

Here in So. Fla., most reedstems are grown as terrestrials, planted in the
yard [before you try this at home, please note -- our soil is generally very
sandy and fast-draining; certainly it dries out faster than any of the "mud"
mixes like Pro-Mix which tend to be used in northern nurseries].

We don't do a whole lot of reedstems [no market, our local customers
consider them "orchid weeds"], but I've grown several for myself and never
found them real fussy about having fresh mix as long as they can dry out
between waterings. So if it were me, I'd just give it a good soak, take off
what old mix will come out easily and then pot the rest up. If you follow
the other suggestion posted and put a fungicide in the soak, please use
gloves.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 05-01-2004, 02:02 AM
tbell

Thanks, Gary. I did just that, though discovered that it had been
planted in sphagnum, which always seems so difficult to remove, compared to
something chunky. We'll see what happens.

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
rubber plant repot help please asdf Gardening 1 04-09-2004 03:57 AM
[IBC] *** [IBC] Hemlock repot ? Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-03-2003 06:44 PM
B. Nodosa: to repot or not? Orchids 8 27-02-2003 07:06 AM