Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2004, 05:42 PM
The Enigma

Default One window, 7 plants, lots of questions

I got quite a lot of orchids (for me at least) at Christmas,
now I have 7:
3 den.
2 phal
2 onc.

I have 2 southern windows that get good light and but right now I'm only
hosting orchids at one. At this one I have 2 columns of orchids running
perpendicular to the window. So it looks like this:
[WINDOW]
Onc. Onc.
Den. Den.
Phal. Den.
. Phal.

I have taken a Rubbermaid container that holds wrapping paper and added
1.5 - 2 inches of pea gravel then placed the plants inside that.

Is my arrangement of orchid with respect to sunlight appropriate?

Also let me check to see if I got the facts straight:
Den. let completely dry out before watering.
Onc. let completely dry out before watering.
Phal. let dry out some but not really completely before watering
Fertilize when new growth of the roots occurs and not at all during
blooming.

Right now the Onc. and the Den. are getting some "direct" sunlight through
the window (is it considered direct if it is through a window?) and the
Phals are the furthest away, about three feet from the window. Is it ok for
my plant to get "direct" sunlight or should I put the blinds down and open
them partially?

Should I remove damaged leaves (one or two have been slashed in a couple
places, got it from Lowe's, but still green) or yellow leaves (went on 8 or
9 day vacation and some of the leaves turned yellow).

Also after my 9 day vacation I noticed one of the Phal. leaves started to
get a maroonish color it doesn't look like it's dying and the top of the
leaf it mostly green, why?

I noticed some small webs on one of my Den. are these spidermites? Should I
take swift and direct action to try to liberate my orchid from these? If so
how?

Thanks
Chris