Old 22-01-2004, 10:32 AM
White Monkey

Default It's not doing so well

Hi all,

A few days ago I posted the following:
I was walking along the flower market today on the way to somewhere else,
and saw that the place I recently got my orchids had new stuff. While
forcing myself not to browse seriously, I noticed a lot of not-so-happy
orchids without flowers piled under a table, apparently hauled from a
store-room or something. They were labeled (in Dutch) "Bloomed-out orchids;
1/2 price on pot". Among them, its feet in water, three pseudobulbs of its
seven spongy form that, and all its flowers over but the sticks still there,
was my little salmon-and-coral Oncidium Twinkle. It was four Euros. I've
repotted it in nice brand-new medium and removed all dead material; the rest
seems quite green and perky. The roots all seemed fine. Have I treated it
right? And does anyone have any tips on caring for it?

Update:
Now, a few days later, the remaining pseudobulbs are no longer soft and one
of the... ehhm, whatever one calls the bunches of leaves growing from right
around them, one bunch of these is green and perky and seems fine, but the
other bunch is yellowing at the base and since yesterday one of the leaves
has gone brown. It's lost all of the leaves that grow straight out of the
tops of the pseudobulbs. When I repotted it, the medium was pre-soaked, so I
decided not to water it yet because of its recent rot-experiences, but this
morning I gave it just a tiny bit of water, now that it's not spongy
anymore, but I am a bit worried about it. Should I just hang on grimly and
pray for the little guy, or is there something I could be DOING?

Thanks,
Katrina

---

Old 22-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Diana Kulaga

Katrina,

Don't be so nice to that plant, giving it water! It could use some drying
out, from what you say. It could be that the leaves are falling because of
the stress that was incurred before you took it in. As long as the bulbs
remain firm you're probably okay, but keep an eye out for softening. Did
you treat the cut before you repotted? If not, try pouring some peroxide
through the mix.

Good luck!

Diana

Old 23-01-2004, 10:50 AM
White Monkey

Don't be so nice to that plant, giving it water! It could use some drying
out, from what you say.

Thanks! How long is it safe to unwater an oncidium? Until the pseudobulbs
contract slightly?

It could be that the leaves are falling because of
the stress that was incurred before you took it in.

Oh, *I* didn't do this to it! I just hope I can save it. Definitely it's
from what it's already been through. I just pray I'm not too late!

As long as the bulbs
remain firm you're probably okay, but keep an eye out for softening.

Thank you. One has not completely firmed up yet from its ordeal--I won't
give it any more water for now. Today, there is a speck of bright green at
the top of one of the pseudobulbs.

Did
you treat the cut before you repotted? If not, try pouring some peroxide
through the mix.

I didn't because the pseudobulbs that I took off basically just lifted off
and left a hard, scaly base from which the others also grow. Looking at it,
I felt it was safe to just wipe it dry. The damage was pretty strictly
localized and I think the planty had been doing its best to isolate the area
itself. Thank you, though; I didn't know about the peroxide thing and will
remember it!

Good luck!

Thanks a lot!

--Katrina

---

Old 23-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Katrina,

That pbulb that is still soft is unlikely to get healthy, so keep a close
eye on it. As far as the bright green spot on top of a bulb, if it's one
that has lost its leaves the plant may be growing a keiki; it's a
'life-saving' strategy for the plant.

Watering - I can't specifically answer your question about how long to let
it go. My best advice would be to put it on the same schedule as your other
Oncidiums that are doing well.

Good luck with it!

Diana

Old 24-01-2004, 11:12 AM
White Monkey

That pbulb that is still soft is unlikely to get healthy, so keep a close
eye on it. As far as the bright green spot on top of a bulb, if it's one
that has lost its leaves the plant may be growing a keiki; it's a
'life-saving' strategy for the plant.

It's definitely vegetative growth--I can't tell if it's just going to be a
normal leaf or not. I will keep a close eye on the pbulb--it's neither
better nor worse than yesterday, but I'm sure you're right and it'll go. I
have to go to Rome for four days ("have to", yeah right, ha ha) so I hope
the house-sitters will follow my instructions to completely ignore the
houseplants. I trust these people, but she is the sort to water anything she
doesn't know what to do with.

Watering - I can't specifically answer your question about how long to let
it go. My best advice would be to put it on the same schedule as your

other
Oncidiums that are doing well.

Will do. I was also specifically wondering about letting this one "dry out"
for a while--at what point does that become more dangerous, dehydration
of non-waterlogged plant material, than giving it water is dangerous for rot
promotion?

Good luck with it!

Thank you!

--Katrina

---

Old 24-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Reka

"White Monkey" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have to go to Rome for four days ("have to", yeah right, ha ha)

Wave on your way by, Katrina! (Just south of the Brenner Pass)
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 25-01-2004, 09:32 AM
White Monkey

I have to go to Rome for four days ("have to", yeah right, ha ha)

Wave on your way by, Katrina! (Just south of the Brenner Pass)
Reka

Will do! Wow, what fun! Are you vacationing, or will I be waving at you at
home?
--Katrina

---

Old 25-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Reka

At home...Magrè sulla Strada del Vino, or Margreid an der Weinstrasse, as it
is known in German.
Where are you in NL?

Old 25-01-2004, 01:02 PM
White Monkey

At home...Magrè sulla Strada del Vino, or Margreid an der Weinstrasse, as

it
is known in German.
Where are you in NL?
Reka

Amsterdam. My husband and I just got our Dutch citizenship--*whoo-hoo!!*
--Katrina

---

Old 26-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Joe S

White Monkey wrote:

At home...Magrè sulla Strada del Vino, or Margreid an der Weinstrasse, as

it
is known in German.
Where are you in NL?
Reka

Amsterdam. My husband and I just got our Dutch citizenship--*whoo-hoo!!*
--Katrina

Last I checked, shouting "Whoo-Hoo!!" is cause for having Dutch citizenship
revoked.

Better take that action on the "down-low".

Joe

Old 26-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Reka

And what were you originally?
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"White Monkey" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .

Amsterdam. My husband and I just got our Dutch citizenship--*whoo-hoo!!*
--Katrina

---

Sweet peas doing well. Too well? Ragnar United Kingdom 1 07-12-2011 05:11 PM
silver lace vine not doing well...Please Help Lesley Gardening 4 09-07-2004 03:02 PM
my radishes are not doing well McQualude North Carolina 5 13-05-2004 04:06 AM
New tree not doing well Gus Gardening 2 13-05-2004 12:02 AM
Plants not doing nearly as well as they used to François Arsenault Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 09-12-2003 10:02 PM