Old 08-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Lesley

Default silver lace vine not doing well...Please Help

Hello everyone,
Just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what is wrong with my
silver lace vine.
I've posted some pictures on my website that pretty much tell the story.
Much better
than my description will.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~bigbrothercottage/SilverLace.htm

Leaves get red blotches, with brownish spots - turn yellow then curl up &
die.
It seems to be slowly spreading to the top of the plant.
I've tried applying safers soap twice, about 3 days apart. Last application
was about 3 days ago. Very thorough and both sides of leaves. Though the
problem still seems to be getting worse.

Other info...
I thought it was mites because I had little webs everywhere, but now the web
seem to be gone.
I also had tiny little black bugs flying around the plants (I've heard that
can indicate aphids)- they are also gone.
I do not see mites on the leaves (I used to do pest management for apples so
I know they are just tiny little dots moving around on the back of the
leaves on apples - assuming they're the same).
Drainage in the soil is good.
This is the first year anything has been planted in that soil.
Gets full sun most of the day.
Top of the vine seems very healthy & still growing vigorously. No flowers
yet though.
Other plants in that garden are thriving (morning glory, dianthus).
Only fertilized with miracle gro once - probably a month ago.

Before I try anything else and cause more damage - does anyone know what
this is and what I can do?
Thanks so much for your help!
Lesley

(sorry if this message is posted twice, I didn't think it was uploaded due
to my attachments, so I put pix on the website and reposted it)

Old 08-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Blues Ma

Lesley wrote:

Hello everyone,
Just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what is wrong with my
silver lace vine.
I've posted some pictures on my website that pretty much tell the story.
Much better
than my description will.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~bigbrothercottage/SilverLace.htm
*

Is any of the wood in that trellis treated ?

I planted two SLVs and the one on a cedar fence is thriving.
The one on a pressure treated trellis croaked.

Ma
*
*
*

Old 09-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Lesley

Yup it's all pressure treated. Interesting thought.
Is that what your SLV looked like when it died?

Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Blues Ma

Lesley wrote:

Yup it's all pressure treated.* Interesting thought.
Is that what your SLV looked like when it died?

Exactly
That's why i decided to butt in with a response.
Some plants are unaffected* -* maybe these guys are a bit more sensitive ?

*

Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Beecrofter

I have a CCA treated arbor bench covered with Silver lace vine.
I'd be looking under the leaves for an insect cause.