Old 24-01-2004, 10:02 AM
kenty ;-\)

Default ripening fruit causing bud blast.

How far away would the fruit have to be away from the orchids to cause bud
blast + which fruit? I have a new phal which is dropping its buds,none have
progressed since I got it 2 weeks ago,but this of cause is likely to be down
to new conditions/humidity etc.the phal is also about 5 ft away from the
fruit bowl.
Thanks Keith

Old 24-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Ray

In an open room, it is unlikely that you're building up a sufficient
concentration of ethylene to cause bud blast, and at 5 feet distance, that
would have to be a huge bowl of rotting apples!.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 27-01-2004, 01:02 PM
sneff

Keith,

I'm not sure which fruit produces the most ethylene, but bananas could be
close - they were the first fruit to be identified with the ability to ripen
other fruits at an advanced rate. If your fruit bowl contains a big bunch of
bananas, then the ethylene they are giving off would definitely be cause for
consideration. Of course, there could be a bunch of other factors causing
your Phal to drop the buds. It all comes down to a process of elimination.
Moving the fruit bowl should not be a big headache for you, I'm guessing -
so maybe start there.

Best, Matthew.

Bud Blast on Ang. Leonis?? Al Orchids 0 29-11-2004 02:01 PM
bud blast - causes? J Fortuna Orchids 6 30-03-2004 07:18 PM
bud blast? J Fortuna Orchids 3 01-12-2003 01:22 PM
bud blast? J Fortuna Orchids 0 30-11-2003 09:41 PM
Bromiliads, Phal bud blast and ethelyne gas Al Orchids 2 24-09-2003 11:02 PM