Old 25-01-2004, 09:12 PM
molli

Default Not an orchid but...

Went out to get some more CHC and sphag today..came home with that AND two
bromeliads! What kind of light levels do Bromeliads take? Hubby the plant
hater picked these out "hey, you don't have any of these, here, get these
two" so I sort of HAVE to keep them alive...help!

--

Hugs,
Molli

Old 25-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Molli,

I don't know what kind you bought, but we have loads of them; Frank loves
'em, and so do I. We mounted them on driftwood with Liquid Nails to anchor
them in place; Elmer's Glue is okay, too. We grow ours in bright light and
water every couple of days. Of course, we're in FL, and they grow outside
by the pool; if I remember correctly, you're in CO, and your humidity
won't be the same as ours. Wendy knows lots more about these than I do
though!

In any event, they reward us with blooms regularly.

Diana

Old 26-01-2004, 12:32 AM
molli

These are potted in promix, in small pots. My humidity in my orchid room
ranges from 65% to 80% depending on how long its been since the timer on the
humidifier went off. I'll move them to a bit brighter light, thanks.

--

Hugs,
Molli

Old 26-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Kenni Judd

There are many different kinds of bromeliads. In general, the ones with
soft thin leaves do well treated like Phals. The ones with harder, thicker
leaves can take more light and less water.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 26-01-2004, 06:54 PM
ARIET B

Just a couple of things to think about- some kinds have stiff leaves, with
sharp points (read that: thorns) on the ends. When these get big- dangerous
to get too near. Other types have somewhat softer leaves and no "thorns".
Granted: the thornier ones are more dramatic looking.

Then there is the matter of the "water-holding" center of the plants. Has
tendency to breed mosquitoes. - they say the flushing the center out with a
hose, on a regular (weekly, or more) basis, will take care of that. But just
be aware of this if and when you bring them in the house.

The way they grow: Each plant lives about one cycle, and produces a side-shoot
after maturation or blooming. Any one plant will not rebloom. Eventually you
will want to cut off the old plant, leaving room for the new one (or2) to grow.
Do not try to pull it out of the ground- just cut it off, just below the
"vase". In other words, ABOVE where the new plant has grown.

Have fun with them!! Elinor, the picture-less.

Old 26-01-2004, 07:25 PM
molli

Thanks Elinor. One of them has a 'pup' starting, its one of the reasons I
got it. (Hubby picked out the color and general shape, I picked the best
looking of that genera) This is kind of neat..something new to worry and
fuss over!

--

Hugs,
Molli