Old 06-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Claude

Default My new acquisition!

Hello everyone!

I still did it! I can`t go to those Orchids meeting without buying! Please
HELP me :-))

Here`s what I got:

Onc. Sherry Baby Sweet fragrance ( I know nothing about Oncidium )

Phal. equestris `piloric``dietzii`( that`s what on the label)

Phal. SuperStupid `brother`X Brother purple `brother`

Phal. Amboinensis `Lang Ching`X Phal. hannoven Passion `b1`

I tried to get pictures of the phal, could get only the superstupid!
Any ideas about the other phals?

Thanks

Claude ( Completely addicted ! )

Old 06-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Dewitt

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:47:13 -0500, "Claude"
wrote:

Phal. equestris `piloric``dietzii`( that`s what on the label)

That probably should be "peloric" I couldn't find a clone called
'dietzii', but a search on google for 'equestris peloric' finds pics
of a number of different peloric equestris's, Peloric basically means
the flower is confused about what should be a lip and what should be a
petal. Here is one example -
http://www.notsogreenthumb.org/contr..._equestris.htm
Some folks are fond of them. I'm not.

deg

Old 06-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Ray

OK, first we've got to correct some labels for spelling and capitalization:

Oncidium Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance' AM/AOS
(Dewitt already got the equestris)
Phal. Super Stupid 'Brother' x 'Brother Purple 'Brother' is registered as
Phal. Brother Sally Taylor
Phal. amboinensis 'Lang Ching' x Hannover Passion 'B1'

Sharry likes it warm and probably about as bright as you can get it (I hang
mine with the vandas, but it can do with less light), and likely to be
watered pretty thoroughly. It was the first fine-rooted plant I attempted
in S/H, and was amazed at how well it took to it...

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 06-02-2004, 03:42 PM
J Fortuna

Claude,
How exciting for you! If your plea for help is meant to elicit advice on
what you can do to not be an orchid addicts, I fear you won't get it here.
:-)

A bit about peloric equestris:

Personally I am very fond of many pelorics (though there are some where the
effect of pelorism is nicer and others where its more weird, but it is a
personal preference, and often I like even the weird ones). Some people
differentiate between peloric and semi-peloric -- is your plant currently in
bloom? If so, please try posting a photo of it on your Web site, I would
love to see it. Another rgo'er who is very fond of pelorics is Al, and he is
also very experienced both with pelorics and with equestris (he has a huge
gorgeous pot filled with equestris), so if you have any questions about this
plant, you may want to try eliciting Al's advice.

Things I know about equestris (I've got one of them too, but mine is not
peloric): After flowering, don't cut the spike, the plant will decide if it
wishes to reuse it. Phal equestris are a species renowned for having keikis
more frequently than other Phals. My plant was a keiki off of Al's -- it was
still a keiki in spring of 2003, and now it's flowering beautifully, don't
be fooled by the small plant size, these little guys flower early. I am
hoping that I will keep it alive and get it to keiki, and then following
Al's example I plan to put the keiki plant in the same pot as the mother
plant, hoping to someday get a colony of many equestris. With an equestris I
have heard the advice that it is good to leave the keiki attached to the
mother plant as long as possible, since it can happen that then both the
mother plant and the keiki bloom, and that's supposed to be quite a sight.
Phal equestris reminds me a bit of a spider plant but with lots of beautiful
orchid flowers.

Best,
Joanna

Old 06-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Claude

Thank you Ray!

About the Oncidium, there is 4 bulbs, pretty big about 4 inch height by 3
inch large and 2 inch think.
leaves have between 8 to 14 inches long.
The bulbs are hard, smooth, no wrinkle!
No aerial roots visible. It`s in a bark mix in a 8 inches diameter plastic
green pot.

What should I do! Is it time to repot in S/H or should I wait?
How to induce blooming?

Thanks

Claude

My new acquisition! Claude Orchids 0 06-02-2004 06:33 AM
My new acquisition! Claude Orchids 1 06-02-2004 06:20 AM
Is it legal? (plant acquisition) LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Ponds 14 14-07-2003 11:47 PM
agriculture enviromental data acquisition Mario Plant Science 9 02-06-2003 06:20 AM
agriculture enviromental data acquisition Mario sci.agriculture 11 02-06-2003 06:20 AM