Old 10-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Mark Prout

Default I'm killing Vuyl. Milissa Brianne - "vyul2.jpg" 117.3 KBytes

Looks to me like it's drowning. You don't have "accordion leaves" indicative
of dryness. Something I picked up second hand from an AOS judge this year:
he said that the owner of Everglades Orchids, which specializes in
cymbidiums and odont hybrids in Florida, grows odonts such as yours in
sphagnum moss. Moss allows the maximum airflow to roots while maintaining
consistent moisture throughout the pot. I had several plants such as yours
that I have since repotted with sphagnum that are now much happier.

On 2/10/04 8:41 AM, in article
, "Troy House"
wrote:

This was a big, lush orchid when it came into my home. Over the year it has
dwindled into almost nothing.
The browning looks normal, and the new growth seems healthy. It is just
surprising how fast this one went down. Is this normal?

It's my first on only Vuyl. (and was a gift) and I'm curious if I'm doing
something wrong.

It's in a plastic pot so that it will stay a bit damp and it's getting
medium light. Prior to this it was mounted but in the same environment. The
temp in the orchids room goes from 64f nighttime to 80f daytime. and hovers
at 60% humidity.

Old 10-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Wendy

Hi Troy, I wish I could help but I have killed these too, along with
Miltassia's????
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

:
: It's my first on only Vuyl. (and was a gift) and I'm curious if I'm doing
: something wrong.
:
: It's in a plastic pot so that it will stay a bit damp and it's getting
: medium light. Prior to this it was mounted but in the same environment.
The
: temp in the orchids room goes from 64f nighttime to 80f daytime. and
hovers
: at 60% humidity.
:
: --