Old 12-02-2004, 06:38 PM
molli

Default ID help please

A dear friend sent me some plants today. Three of the tags came out of the
pots in shipping, and I was wondering if anyone had these so I can match tag
with plant. Or even if anyone has just the plain green one, so I can stick
the right tag in it, the other two are mottled leaf.

Paph. Chamberlanium v. flavescens (x self)

Paph. (Mem. Hellen Colbert -Jeanette AM/AOS x callosum "Seattle Symphony
Orchestra")

Paph. jolly roger "Ruby Ring X joanne's wine "Glassful")

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you have a picture of any of these,
would you be kind enough to post it to ABPO?
--
Hugs,
Molli

Old 12-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:58:03 -0700, "molli"
wrote:

A dear friend sent me some plants today. Three of the tags came out of the
pots in shipping, and I was wondering if anyone had these so I can match tag
with plant. Or even if anyone has just the plain green one, so I can stick
the right tag in it, the other two are mottled leaf.

Paph. Chamberlanium v. flavescens (x self)

Paph. (Mem. Hellen Colbert -Jeanette AM/AOS x callosum "Seattle Symphony
Orchestra")

Paph. jolly roger "Ruby Ring X joanne's wine "Glassful")

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you have a picture of any of these,
would you be kind enough to post it to ABPO?

Molli -
Paph chamberlianium v flavescens (selfed) species.

general description from an award on Wildcatt...One flower with
apple-green sepals; dorsal shading to cream at base with small
maroon dots; creme hirsute petals with rose-maroon spots; pouch
rose-lavender with green upper portion.
and flavescens generally suggest a cream or yellow base note in
the color.

Paph. Memoria Helene Colbert 'Jeanette' AM/AOS x Paph. callosum
'Seattle Symphony Orchestra' is now registered as
Paph. Blewett Pass. Registered by Baker and Chantry in 1996.

Paph Jolly Roger ' Ruby Ring' x Paph. Joanne's Wine 'Glassful' is
not yet registered.

Note the CAPS or lack there of.

SuE

Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Rob Halgren

And to add to what Sue wrote, your P. chamberlainianum is the one
without the mottled leaves. Don't ever cut the inflorescence on this
on, it is a sequential bloomer. If the spike is still green, there is
still hope. Might want to make a note of that on the tag.

Given the crosses, I'm not sure most people could reliably tell the
difference between the two others, even in flower. I might (emphasis on
might) be able to, but only if I knew which parents I was picking from
(and only because I've seen a whole lot of each). This is why it is
critical to keep the tags with the plants, even if you only have a few.
I'm sure you know that. So don't throw those labels away. You might
want to make two tags for each plant. When they bloom, take a picture
and post it somewhere with the tag information. Chances are good that
you would be able to throw one of those tags away after that.

Just as a tip to the novice shipper... A piece of masking tape
connecting the tag to the pot is a great way to keep this kind of thing
from happening. I've occasionally used a stapler to fasten tag to pot
(the thin plastic pots, of course). Thin plastic labels work better
than the more rigid ones, which tend to snap during shipping. The rigid
ones also seem to get brittle with age. I've had to put a few together
like puzzles, and those are the ones that break while I'm paying
attention. Lose a few pieces and you are in trouble.

Have fun!

Rob

wrote:

[...]

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 12-02-2004, 09:33 PM
molli

Thanks to all of you who helped me out! I think I've got the right tags with
the right plants now. -- Sue emailed me with what one of the mottled should
look like, and only one fit.so that third tag must go to the other pot huh?
If not, what's another noid or two as long as they don't croak on me!
Hugs,
Molli