Old 13-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Just Nice

Default Fertiliser question: Esp. for Ray

How and when do I use these formulae:

N13 P27 K27

N21 P21 K21

N18 P36 K18

Regards.

Old 14-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Ray

My opinion: use them whenever you want, but in different concentrations,
based upon the amount of nitrogen you want to apply. As you didn't include
the actual makeup of those nutrients or the trace elements, I really didn't
have the options of "always" or "never."

Generally, I feel that there is a minimum concentration needed for most
elements, with the nitrogen being the critical factor - you don't want too
much or too little - but the rest are sufficiently available in most good
brands. Unless you're really overdoing it or not rinsing the excess
minerals away with the occasional fresh-water flush, it's doubtful that
you'll get too much of them.

And as is the case with vitamins for you and me, your body will take what it
needs and dump the rest, so watching them is less critical, as long as they
are available.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 14-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Just Nice

"Ray" wrote in message
My opinion: use them whenever you want, but in different concentrations,
based upon the amount of nitrogen you want to apply. As you didn't

include
the actual makeup of those nutrients or the trace elements, I really

didn't
have the options of "always" or "never."

Basically, all the three formulae contain all the basic trace elements as
claimed by the manufacturers. I feed my orchids weekly, always half strength
of the recommended dosage. As most of my plants are now approaching their
"puberty" stage (so to speak), I am begining to switch from the N21 P21 K21
to N13 P27 K27, to prepare (majority of) them for blooming towards the
second half of the year. Of course I do drenching every other week.

The reason I enquire is that prior to this, I have a few phals. and cats.
which grow and bloom beautifully only on organic feed applied every
tri-monthly but the downside is pest control. Enlighten me further, please!
BTW, I am living in Malaysia, a tropical country with an excellent humidity.

Thank you.

Old 14-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Ray

Excellent humidity and lots of sun!

Personally, I don't believe in "bloom boosters" as necessary for blooming or
for improvements in blooms, but a lot of folks do.

My more recent approach is to control my feeding by pH for nutrient
availability, and the nitrogen concentration if the final solution. I have
previously believed in weak dosage all the time, likening that to the
nutrient availability in nature, but base this thinking upon lots of reading
and discussions with the pro's at Blackmore (the folks that made the MSU
fertilizer) and J. R. Peters.

If I was in your geography and climate, I would probably target about 200
ppm nitrogen. in your 21-21-21 formula, that's achieved by adding about 3/4
teaspoon to a gallon of water. With the other blend, that level is achieved
at around 1.25 teaspoons. Of course, I am presuming that you grow stuff
like phals and vandaceous plants, and would possibly adjust the
concentration for some others.

Old 14-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Just Nice

Thank you Ray, nice sharing with you.

[...]