Old 24-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Bob Walsh

Default New plants today! Question...

Ruth,

I think I would just move the plants in the box into the warm area. I'd be
concerned about handling the plants themselves until they warmup just in
case their might be some frost in the cells. (Kind of like frostbite in
people.) You will be able to see frost damage fairly soon as damaged areas
will look a darker green than the rest when they thaw.

Bob
"RPM1" wrote in message
A box was waiting for me in our barn when I got home
today. Lovely plants (Degarmoara & Catt). It is 32F here
at the moment and the plants, even tho packed with a heat
source, were =very= cold to the touch. Can I just set them
with the rest of my plants at 72 degrees or should they
'chill out' for a bit in our basement (60 degrees) before I
bring them up? TIA

Ruth CM

Old 24-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Rob Halgren

It has been my experience that orchids always feel cold to the touch
when delivered in cold weather, and scorching hot when delivered in the
summer... That is partially a case of feeling what you think should be
there. I've only received one box that was actually frozen though.
I've sent one that froze too, so I've been on both ends. The plants you
describe should be relatively tolerant of cool temperatures, even down
to a several degrees above freezing for a few hours. Remember that it
was warmer than the outside air temperature inside that box.

A bigger question is a) was your barn warmer than the outside air,
and b) what was your postman doing leaving live plants outside in
February? I had to train my postman to not do that... If I expect a
box of plants during cold weather, I usually leave a note on the door
requesting that the box be returned to the post office if I'm not home.
The big problem is unexpected deliveries (vendors who don't warn you
before they ship). The good vendors will usually reserve an order for
you until you say it is safe to ship, as long as you think to ask for
such a service.

"RPM1" wrote in message

A box was waiting for me in our barn when I got home
today. Lovely plants (Degarmoara & Catt). It is 32F here
at the moment and the plants, even tho packed with a heat
source, were =very= cold to the touch. Can I just set them
with the rest of my plants at 72 degrees or should they
'chill out' for a bit in our basement (60 degrees) before I
bring them up? TIA

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 25-02-2004, 01:04 PM
RPM1

"Rob Halgren"
A bigger question is a) was your barn warmer than the outside air,

No, it's just a horse barn. I mean there was windbreak but it was
still 32 degrees no matter how you slice it and that was at the warmest
part of the day (2pm).

and b) what was your postman doing leaving live plants outside in
February?

I haven't had good experience with deliveries here. We have a
very long driveway straight up a hill. We keep it plowed but the
last delivery I had they literally threw it in a snowbank down at the
bottom of the hill. I just happened to be looking to the side as I
was driving up and I saw the letters "Fin..." I brushed away the
snow to reveal a white box, of all colors, and the words "Fine
Artwork - Handle With Care" which was printed all over the
buried box. Had I not been looking in that spot at the moment
it would have sat there until spring melt. There was no damage
to the artwork so I let it slide.

The plants I'm watching closely. They seem to have suffered but
I won't know for sure for a few days. =I HOPE I'm wrong=

Ruth CM