Old 08-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Shell

Default Changing to lava rock questions

I've changed nearly everything I have over to lava rock and I have a few
questions.

1. Do paphs and phrags do well in lava? (thought I'd ask first before just
changing since these are my most expensive plants)

2. Will a bulbo do ok in lava?

3. How about phals in lava?

4. Is there anything that shouldn't go into lava rock?

And a last question not about lava rock. I have a dend. unicum which has
lost all but one leaf and has all these little bitty wiry looking slightly
knobly new growths on the canes. Now these canes are small, less than 12
inches high, and I know that dend. unicum looses its leaves when its about a
year old. The question is since these growths are all up and down the
canes, could these be flower spikes forming? If so I expext a major bloom
from this plant

Shell

Old 08-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Rob Halgren

Shell wrote:

1. Do paphs and phrags do well in lava? (thought I'd ask first before just
changing since these are my most expensive plants)

You mean the red, more than a little hot, molten rock that flows out
of volcanoes? I doubt it... *grin* Actually, you can grow paphs and
phrags in anything, as long as you water them enough. I'd probably mix
in some more water absorbant materials into my lava rock. If you want
to be completely inorganic, go to the hydroponics store and pick up some
rock wool. There are two types, water absorbent and the other kind...
Mix in maybe 25%, and things will be a lot easier.

2. Will a bulbo do ok in lava?

Most of those like to be a little on the wet side as well.

3. How about phals in lava?

Probably your best bet of the three kinds. Phals are pretty adaptable.

4. Is there anything that shouldn't go into lava rock?

Somebody here tried the experiment of growing orchids in broken
glass (Aaron or Ray?). Doesn't matter what you use, as long as you can
meet the watering and feeding requirements. It is usually far easier to
change the mix to suit the plant than to change the environment to suit
the mix.

You know, Pele gets pretty upset when you take her rocks... I don't
know if I'd risk messing with a volcano goddess.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 08-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Shell

Thanks for the help. I'm mixing in some perlite and charcoal and puting the
pots on a humidity tray. I tend to mist when I walk by and my problem with
watering is to keep from over watering so it shouldn't be a problem.

As for Pele, I think this lava comes from the northwest US

Shell

Old 09-03-2004, 01:50 AM
Kenni Judd

What we try to teach in our classes [plug: next session is scheduled for
July, Sat. mornings], is to vary your potting mixes by plant needs so as to
get as many as possible on the same watering schedule. We believe in the
KISS principle! [Which is not to imply that any of us are stupid, just that
most of us are busy ... ]

If you put your catts into the same mix as your phals, you will have to
water the latter more often than the former. If you make the mix for your
phals, paphs and phrags more water-retentive, you can water them all the
same.

Here at the nursery, we accomplish by using mostly the same ingredients, but
varying the proportions: Catts, Dens, and others that need to thoroughly
dry between waterings get 50% lava, 25% charcoal, and 25% CHC. Oncids,
which like to stay a little more moist, get 50% CHC, 25% charcoal, 25% lava.
This keeps all of them on the same schedule, with only one other schedule
for the vandaceous which we mostly grow essentially bareroot.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

m...

Lava rock cleaning? Tom Wikoff Ponds 14 24-03-2004 02:00 PM
Lava rock cleaning? Tom Wikoff Ponds 0 19-03-2004 03:24 AM
suggestions regarding red lava rock as a mulch? Naomi Glass Gardening 5 15-07-2003 05:02 PM
Lava Rock Debra Lewis Orchids 6 11-06-2003 02:20 AM
Bio-filters and lava rock O3raledale Ponds 8 30-05-2003 05:08 PM