Old 11-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Dicky

Default Paph. Hangianum

Dear Mr. Ray,

I would like to ask for the plantation of Paph.Hangianum under violet light.
Thanks You.

--
---

Visit this website to get more information about gardening and buy flowers
securely!
http://www.dickyhorticulture.freehomepage.com

Old 11-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Ray

Please excuse me, but I don't know what you're asking.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 12-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Dewitt

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:51:48 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

Just a guess, but I think he wants to know about the culture of Paph
Hangianum under fluorescent lighting.

deg

Please excuse me, but I don't know what you're asking.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 12-03-2004, 01:31 AM
J Fortuna

Deg,

I had not thought of "fluorescent", but you are right that that's also
possilble. Either "fluorescent" or "Ultraviolet" are I think the most
likely.

Also, do we have any Chinese speakers here -- especially speakers of the
version of Chinese that is spoken in Hong Kong, is that Cantonese Chinese?
I followed the link to http://www.dickyhorticulture.freehomepage.com, and
found out that Dicky is from Hong Kong, and the email he lists on his Web
site's Contact Me is . If anyone here is
able to email Dicky in his native language and find out what he meant, that
might help.

Best,
Joanna

wrote:

Just a guess, but I think he wants to know about the culture of Paph
Hangianum under fluorescent lighting.

deg

Please excuse me, but I don't know what you're asking.

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -
www.firstrays.com

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 12-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Dicky

I am sorry for my explanation. As i am just a chinese student, my english is
not pretty well. Thanks for all guesses. And i must thank J Fortuna, he/she
guess correctly. My meaning is how can i grow hangianum well under
Ultra-Violet.
"J Fortuna" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
Ray,

Being a foreigner myself, I know how hard it is to explain some things if
one does not have the proper words. Here are a few guesses as to what

Dicky
may be asking:

1) Is it possible to grow Paph Hangianum under Ultra-Violet lamps?
2) Is it possible to grow Paph Hangianum under the light conditions of
African violets?
3) Can you think of any other "violet light" other than UV or African

violet
light conditions (I can't)? If you can, can you provide some terms for

Dicky
to choose from, so that he can better phrase his question?
4) Since Dicky is specifically addressing this question to you, have you
either on your Web site or in any of your posts commented on Paph

Hangianum
and its light conditions? If so, could this question somehow be understood
in the context of what you have posted?

Also, in case you are wondering, I think it is quite likely that even

though
Dicky is having trouble phrasing the question, once we have helped him
figure out how to phrase it, he may be able to understand the answer quite
well. My knowledge of Italian is like that: I can speak or write only very
little in the language, but I can usually understand enough when I hear or
read something in Italian to know the gist of what has been said or

written.

Building a phrase in a foreign language that one is not fluent in is so
much harder than understanding the same phrase when presented to one by
someone else. And asking questions about orchids can be even harder

because
the terminology that one needs to use is often not familiar even to native
speakers of English who just do not have experience conversing about
orchids. How many times have we seen newbies ask questions like "What do I
do with the flower stem once my orchid has stopped blooming?" -- spike or
inflorescence are not really words in English, they are technical terms in
the orchid or gardening specific jargon.

Best,
Joanna

Old 12-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Ray

Dicky,

My first comment is that I have no experience with Paph. hangianum, and
second is that - unless we're still miscommunicating about the UV, and it's
really something else - you probably cannot grow a plant under UV, as the
plant needs a totally different range of the light spectrum for
photosynthesis.

Now then, assuming that we're talking about fluorescent lighting, I suspect
that most paphs would do well in the 12" - 18" range of distance from the
bulbs, but there's bound to be someone out there who knows better than I.