Old 16-04-2004, 05:04 AM
J Fortuna

Default How to Kill Your Orchids (funny article)

Some of you may remember my post earlier this year entitled "best ways to
kill orchids?"
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...ink.net&rnum=1

I have just located a perfect response, an article on "How to Kill Your
Orchids" by Milton O. Carpenter
http://www.orchidworks.com/ozone/Foo...ght/milton.htm

Enjoy,
Joanna

Old 18-04-2004, 03:07 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Fri, 16 Apr 2004 03:47:26 GMT,
"J Fortuna" did speak the following
bit of wisdom:

I have just located a perfect response, an article on "How to Kill Your
Orchids" by Milton O. Carpenter
http://www.orchidworks.com/ozone/Foo...ght/milton.htm

I didn't notice my personal... uh... "favorite" way to do in orchids:
get a parrot! My African Grey, Griz, did it again last night.
Actually, *I* did it. I left her out on her play perch and went off to
take a shower. In that short amount of time, she managed to glide
across the kitchen to my countertop and destroy 3 more plants. sigh
She always seems to go for the ones I particularly enjoy. (I guess we
have the similar tastes in orchids.) And she never, EVER goes for any
ailing ones. Nope! She goes straight for the nicest, healthiest plants
of the bunch. Last night, she got my Phal. schilleriana compot, a nice
oncidium (that one *might* actually stand a chance of surviving) and a
fat, healthy seedling of Phal. Brother Glory 'Long Fong'.

Totally my fault. I should not have left her unattended. So if
you're looking for a sure-fire way to kill orchids, get a pet parrot!

Just needed to vent...

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"
Old 18-04-2004, 04:04 AM
J Fortuna

Ouch, Karen. Sorry to hear about your losses. It does indeed sound like a
very effective way to do in orchids. However, from what I hear from a
colleague of mine who is into parrots, a parrot is way more commitment than
I am willing to give to a pet, at least at this time.
Joanna

Old 20-04-2004, 12:02 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:59:00 GMT,
"J Fortuna" did speak the following
bit of wisdom:

However, from what I hear from a
colleague of mine who is into parrots, a parrot is way more commitment than
I am willing to give to a pet, at least at this time.

She's a good little bird. But your friend is absolutely correct.
Living with such an intelligent critter is a bit like having a 2 year
old child (complete with "terrible-two" tantrums) who *never* grows
up. They're definitely a handful as well as a (human) lifetime
commitment. With good care, she can outlive me! But we love the little
grey rat.

She's done this before and it's always been my fault. So I've really
got no one to blame but myself. Still... I wish she would consider
destroying one of the many toys I provide for her -- or even the walls
or window sills. Those items can be fixed. But these orchids make for
awfully expensive chew toys! sigh

* * * * *

Old 26-04-2004, 11:07 PM

wrote in message . ..
[...]

Karen, if you haven't tried it yet, you may try to start grass or
alfalfa seeds in small pots to give yor parrot some of the leafy
greens that it wants so badly. We used to give treats like that to
our canaries. Saved a lot of feather picking, too.
* * * * *