Old 24-04-2004, 09:03 PM
J Fortuna

Default DC area help - corrections

I asked David (who went with me) whether he remembers more of the American
Plant Food fair than I did. He said that I misremembered the fair, according
to him there was only one Phal with four spikes, though there were several
with three spikes. He said that there were 6-7 vendors, with about 20-30
plants each.

Best,
Joanna

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Jim,

I went to the February fair at American Plant Food in Bethesda. It was
definitely more than you would find at Home Depot! Some of the plants were
specimen sized or almost so, for example a few Phals with 4 or 5 spikes.
There was a wide selection of Phals, Paphs and Phrags, lots of

intergeneric
hybrids, and other orchids which I unfortunately don't remember by now --
it's been a while. It was definitely worthwhile. I came away with a very
pretty Paph, and had to restrain myself from buying some of the Phals.

There
was also a vendor of orchid related paraphernalia such as orchid flower
shaped soaps and T-shirts with orchids.

Pat Brennan (Brennan's Orchids) is an rgo poster (though I haven't seen a
post from him in a while, however you might consider sending him an email,
asking about the event -- his brother was there at the event in February
representing Brennan's, and he might know more details being part of the
organizing effort.

Also, if you are in the area, consider going to Al's in Leesburg, VA as
well -- I don't know which direction you are coming from and how much out

of
your way Al's is, but it's definitely worth it.

Best,
Joanna

"jim seymour" wrote in message
A lurker surfaces. It's spring and an old man's fantasies turn to

orchids.

Does anyone have experience with American Plant Food in Bethesda, they

are
having an orchid fair in June. Vendors will include Brennan's,

Floradise,
Orchid Station, and Fishing Creek. Any insight or opinions would be
appreciated. It's a 5 hour round trip which I don't mind making but want

find a bit more than Lowe's/Home Depot. In the midst of withdrawal and
missing Kensington Orchids.

Thanks
Jim

Old 25-04-2004, 11:15 PM
jim seymour

Joanna,

Thank you for the info and the correction. I will have to check out Als
Orchids.
Would be headed south from central PA, ahh, I miss the city sometimes.
Sounds like APF would not be a total disappointment. Leesburg wouldn't add
more than an hour or so, very little when one is on a quest and driven.
Again, Thanks
Jim

Old 27-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Pat Brennan

Jim,

In the past the APF events have had a nice mix of stuff ranging from Lowes
type stuff to select divisions and from seedlings to retired show plants.
As with all events of this type the secret is to get there early. The best
stuff will go on the tables first and will be the first to leave in a bag.

June is a different time for an orchid events so I am not sure what the
plant mix will be. But I am hoping that 20 to 30 plants is a gross under
estimate of the number of plants per vendor.

While you are marking you calendar for orchid events, mark the last weekend
in July for Summerfest which is held at Parkside. I am sure their website
has all the details. For a sooner fix, the Orchid show at State College is
May 7 -8.

Pat

Old 27-04-2004, 01:06 PM
J Fortuna

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
As with all events of this type the secret is to get there early. The

best
stuff will go on the tables first and will be the first to leave in a bag.

Ah yes, we did not arrive early to the February show, but we still had lots
of fun. Thanks Pat.
Joanna

DC area help jim seymour Orchids 3 25-04-2004 11:15 PM
Help with huge rocky area Doria Edible Gardening 9 09-10-2003 02:04 AM
help with bay area.............. Jimbo United Kingdom 9 11-09-2003 08:43 AM
landscaping a large area - help! Neil Gardening 27 21-05-2003 12:56 PM
Help me choose good ones for this area? Jane Roses 7 15-04-2003 04:44 AM