Old 09-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Wendy

Default What is a Dendrobium?

Hi Andrew, if & when you get an answer to your question, please let us know.
Cheers Wendy
"Andrew" wrote in message
| "K Barrett" wrote:
|
| I wonder if you'd get a better answer at the Orchid Guide Digest? Its
been
| revitalized. You may have to resubscribe and (of course) I don't have
that
| link off the top of my head. It used to be associated with Akerne
Orchids in

Old 10-02-2003, 12:55 AM
PIETER ZUYDERVLIET

I recently heard that they are using genetics to reclassify all orchids,a
book that might be of interest to you iscalled FIELD GUIDE TO THE ORCHIDS OF
NEW SOUTH WALES & VICTORIA by Tony Bishop he was a consultant to the royal
botanic gardens sydney,the book is published by the universityof new south
wales press Ltd wed sight is www.unswpress.com.au
"solo_voyager" wrote in message
om...
I expected you to. Thankfully there are enough different kinds, types
and styles of orchids to satisfy almost everyone's tastes. Even those
without.
Take care guy.
S V

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message

SV,

I stand firm by my first assessment.

Mick

Old 14-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Andrew

Wendy wrote:

Hi Andrew, if & when you get an answer to your question, please let us know.
Cheers Wendy

Hi Wendy,
I asked over at Orchid Guide and here's the gist of what was
said. The article in question was a review of the genus and
appeared in The Orchadian Vol 13, No 11. For the review
covered the Australasian species although I'm not sure to
what extent Asian species were included. Around 24 genera
were created or reinstated. Under the current name changes
the only Australian Dendrobium left is D. macrostachyum
(syn: D. stuartii) which was formerly included in the
section Dendrobium. All of the old Spatulatas,
Dendrocorynes, etc now placed under seperate genera. I'll
try to get a hold of the issue and get back to the group on
what the proposed name changes are.

The review has created quite a lot of controversy (and
resistance). Whether these name changes will be accepted is
still very much up in the air. The Australian terrestrials
have been getting similar taxonomic treatments. Caladenia
was ripped to shreds a while ago. There was also a lot of
controversy when that happened, however, a lot of quite
influencial Caladenia growers have now adopted these name
changes. It should be noted that a large number of
Australian terrestrial orchids are not described so growers
may (?) be more sympathetic to changes in taxonomy.
Dendrobiums are also a far more more horticulturally
important group within Australia and (especially)
internationally. What impact these factors have on the
acceptance of the name changes only time can tell.

Andrew